Revisiting the Rulebook Changes Since I've Been Here (1.1)

MubbleFubbles

I couldn't really think of any content for my VHL.com this week, so I've decided to start a running series where I just talk about the current rules and how much they've changed since I joined (which was Season 34), adding personal experiences with the rule changes and the previous rules where I can. Note I did try to find a rulebook from before I joined the league using wayback machine to compare to my experiences as well, but I couldn't find a viewable one just through clicking round the archived screenshots, I will have another look another time though.

We may as well start from the top and work our way down with 1.1 - The Salary Cap

1 - THE SALARY CAP

1.1 - Salary Cap Figure

The VHL’s salary cap is a hard cap, however if a team exceeds the cap during the off-season the consequences (or lack thereof) are determined by the commissioners. At the conclusion of each season, the salary cap number for the next season will be determined by the commissioners.

The cap number is subject to either positive or negative fluctuation or no change at all and the cap for the next season will be announced before the off-season prior to that season.  

Current cap ceiling: $40,000,000

For the longest time, the salary cap was $32 Million dollars, though this was first amended in Season 60 to $34 Million with the increase in the weekly TPE cap from 9 to 12 TPE and has gradually risen since then with the quantity and quality of players in the VHL system improving significantly with the increase in recruitment that took place from S61 onwards. That's not to say there weren't attempts to try and up the cap from other members during the 9 TPE cap era. Here's an interesting thread where users decide to derail a VHLM Contraction thread of all things into a VHL Salary Cap discussion and with such "compelling arguments" as "the current cap doesn't let us keep our current players and also sign or trade for new ones we'd like", it's not difficult to see why increases to the cap didn't take place. 

Edited by MubbleFubbles