Pearce records three assists as Express edge out Storm

Laine

It's been a slow start to S83 for Calix Pearce. One of the key returning pieces from last season's run by the Cologne Express, the hulking 6' 6" defenseman had a bounce back game, tallying 3 assists as the Express edged out the Storm by a score of 4-3 last night.

"You know, I went back to the fundamentals of my game." said Pearce, about his play. "I think I was trying to do too much and I honed back to the style that worked for me which was moving the puck to the forwards and making sure I'm playing good defense and making smart decisions with the puck. Sometimes when I have space to shoot I know I don't have to hit it perfectly so I just throw it to the net and I know the forwards will be digging around for it."

The usually defense-minded Pearce has 20 points in 24 games so far this season, but is a -2 and has been abysmal in his own end quite often.

"You know, obviously adjusting to the new coaching has been a bit of a challenge, you know with me needing to lead the offense a bit more, but I think I'm finally starting to find my groove."

Pearce hopes that his improved play will continue as the Express continue their season.