VHLM Referees

JCarson

I will start this article noting that I have not done a year by year statistical analysis of the amount or severity of the penalties called by the VHLM referees. However, that being said, I am allowed my own personal opinion. My opinion is that the referees have been calling way too many penalties. Take for example the San Diego Marlins and Ottawa Lynx game played earlier tonight. Throughout the game there were 12 penalties called, 5 against Ottawa and 7 against San Diego. As a result of the penalties there were 4 goals scored, 2 goals for each team. In fact, every goal in regulation was scored on the power play. That begs the argument as to whether either team would have scored 5 on 5.  

It is my opinion that the referees need to put their whistles away and let the players play the game. It is not the referee’s position to impact the end result of the game but they seem to be doing that. I expect that the league would argue, that they will hold the position that the players need to clean up their play and then the referees wouldn’t need to call the penalties. Blah Blah Blah, the league has to hold that position. No amount of statistical evidence will provide any proof to players or fans, every night we see the horrific calls, the missed calls, the marginal calls.  

Let's hope things improve for the sake of the fans. 

PS. I expect that because I have posted this article and that the league monitors this stuff I will get some reprimand, fine, or other form of penalty for speaking poorly of the referees of the league.