GM draft conversations

JCarson

I am entering my first draft and I have had a number of GM approach me, both VHL and VHLE looking to talk before they choose to make their draft pick. I get that, I would expect that their main concern would be related to me coming back for season 84 and how I will continue to grow my player. 

What I find odd is that if I am returning isn’t the first question they ask. The first question is,” If we draft you will you play for our team?” Okay so I am going to date myself here, I get there is some precedence in the NHL with Eric Lindros refusing to sign with the Quebec Nordiques but really this happens in a simulation league. I get the fact that in the NHL where millions of dollars are on the line and the ability to achieve the goal of winning the Stanley Cup is on the line. I never thought it would happen in the VHL. 

I came to find out that there have been instances in the past where people have said or posted things that have upset others. I haven’t asked what those things actually were as it really doesn’t involve me. But as a result, people have refused to be on teams with the offender citing irrevocable differences. It almost sounds like a marriage breaking down. I am quite shocked finding this out, a simulation league where we are all here to have fun together enjoying a sport we say we like. Yet the league is scarred so much by peoples differences that GM’s have to be concerned about finding out if someone is upset at someone else.  

That is a sad state, hope it gets better. 

Very well said. Often, that isn’t the only reason why GMs would be hesitant—some players might strongly want to play for other teams (as opposed to hating one team, just having another in mind), and some others might have career paths in mind that suit them fine but might not be the best for the GM (for example, someone might want to bounce around in free agency to play for lots of different teams—a GM would be a lot less interested in this than they would be in a player who could stick with the team for a few seasons after their rookie contract).

That said, there are very few situations I’ve seen where a player has refused to play somewhere they were drafted, and “will you play for me in the first place” is a bit of a stupid question. As a former GM, I found “what are your thoughts on playing for me” much more helpful in general. 

Edited by Gustav