First Interview...Don't Blow it Kid

Aimee

This morning I had the opportunity to sit down with one of the VHLM’s newest players. Having opted for the draft during the final week to join, Jesse Teno has started to gain a bit of a name for themselves already.

Jesse, thanks for sitting down with me. I know you’re busy so I won’t take much of your time today. How are you enjoying Saskatoon so far?

So far, it’s great! I’m getting to know the city a little at a time and it reminds me of home a bit. I come from a small city too so it’s familiar enough. I went to a few museums, tried some real poutine, even went shopping for some souvenirs to send home to my parents. Everyone here has been really nice and welcoming. A few people around the city have already recognized me which is definitely a new feeling. I’m not a big deal at all back home so that was a new experience.

Great to hear. You mentioned beforehand that you’ve already gone to the arena and practice facility. How were they?

The arena is amazing. I love the look and feel of it. I stepped out onto the ice and it felt so weird to be surrounded by so many seats. It feels massive compared to UVM. I even checked out the merch store just to see what there was so I also picked up my parents a few things there as well.

Sorry to interrupt but any chance you found your name on a jersey?

[laughs] No, not yet. I would imagine it will take a few weeks if not months before my name makes it to anything in the store.

As you mentioned, you had quite the career at UVM. Your final year you went 25-7-2 with 2 shutouts. Do you think you’ll be able to recreate those kinds of numbers in the VHLM?

Man, I hope so. I know it’s going to be hard and given how talented the veterans in this league are, I know I’m going to have my hands full. I know what my weak points were in college so I’m hoping to really utilize the facilities and the scrimmages to work on closing those up.

What would you have to do this year to make it feel like a good first year?

If we’re talking stats wise, I think I just want to have a winning year. If I can hold my own against this higher level of opponent and come out over .500, I’ll be happy. Anything above that will be the cherry on top. Now that’s not to say that that’s all I will give. I’m going to go out and play every game with the intention of winning. But I need to be realistic. Being the only goalie means little rest time between games so I’m going to have to push myself harder than I ever have before.

Thank you for taking the time to talk with me. Just one last question before I leave you to your day; if you could be drafted by any VHL team, which one would you choose?

Oh, without a doubt the New York Americans. I know they’ve been struggling for a while but they’re my team, you know? It’s always a dream to be drafted or play for the team you grew up cheering for. I know Vermont and New York are a few hours distance but I would consider them my hometown team.

582 words, using for PT weeks June 27 – July 3