Mack Attack July

pugsood

dfd

The Sun Gazzette continues its monthly coverage and update of Northern Virginia native and now former SBA basketball player Alvin Mack, as he continues to be eligible in the VHL, despite not having entertained any overtures by the league and its general managers to date. Our beat reporter Jordan Smith caught up with Mack on July 1st in Las Vegas, Nevada

Smith: Same question, different month - any plans on pursuing hockey?

Mack: I love you, Jordan. I love that you're continuing to ask the question. I must look better than I feel if you're still asking me if I'm wanting to come out of a leisurely retirement and try to perform in the highest level of the profession. I think I'll stay put where I am, squarely in retirement.

Smith: So why are you in Las Vegas right now? I know why I'm here, it's to talk to you.

Mack: I was invited to speak at NACDA, the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics. It's a huge conference with about 5,000 professionals all who work in college athletics. I was asked to give my perspective on NIL - Name, Image and Likeness.

Smith: What are your thought on Name, Image and Likeness? After all, you did make a lot of endorsement money in the pros off of your NIL.

Mack: Well obviously in the pros it's not even a question, since you're able to profit off your NIL.  But as you know, with the interim policy the NCAA passed a year ago, it's blown the doors off of college athletics, so to speak. I've got a lot of opinions. First, NIL is low hanging fruit. Players should have been able to profit off their NIL for a long time by now. Second, the NCAA blew it by waiting for a bailout with no contingency, and as a result you see lots of kids and programs getting harmed by bad actors, many of whom are collectives. Just vehicles to distribute cash and no one cares about the integrity or fabric of the schools or the sports. Need to protect the kids, preserve the student-athlete uniqueness that distinguishes college from pros, and enable these kids to choose their own NIL adventures.

Smith: You seem pretty passionate about NIL. 

Mack: I am. I want these kids to gain what's coming to them. Put your name on a piece of paper and sell it? Deserve to get your cut. Gate revenue? Split of media rights? Nope. And I'd be willing to venture if they did get those cuts, fans would stop watching, and the money would just go away. But right now it's a gold rush with no thought to the longterm.

Smith: Charlotte faltered in the playoffs again. Lattimer re-upped with Charlotte on a Supermax. Thoughts?

Mack: I'm so happy for Steve that he got a great deal and that Charlotte retained him. I know he's incredibly disappointed with how the playoffs turned out and knows there's more left for him to do with the Aviators. I won't lie, though. I told him he should seriously consider leaving. I love the Charlotte organization but with how good Steve is, it's a shame that he's in the shadow of his draft peers, who all are in better positions in terms of being able to gain accolades and win. No one works harder than Steve. He deserves more, and I hope he gets more during this 2 year deal with Charlotte. And if not? He's got his prime year to do what I did and leave for another team. Despite not getting Philly to the playoffs, I tried my damndest.

Smith: What were your thoughts on the NHL playoffs?

Mack: Some of the most exciting hockey I've ever seen. Nothing beats playoff hockey. As someone who won't watch a lick of regular season hockey, playoff hockey is must see TV.

This wraps up the June edition with Alvin Mack.