Junior Review - Jimmy MacElroy

Xflexz

My journey into hockey in general was a weird one. When I was younger my family was never into hockey and neither were any of the family friends. Everyone around me were huge baseball fanatics and because of that so was I. I started out playing baseball when I was seven. I was decent at it but when I was a kid I was the smallest on the field so I was always at a disadvantage. By the time I was eleven I wanted to do something else in the off season rather than just sit around and waste away at home not being able to do much of anything. At around the same time the pro team in my city had gone on a crazy cup run and it caused everyone in the city to become a hockey fan including me! Since baseball was during the late Spring and Summer I decided Hockey would be the absolute perfect sport to play while also still being able to play baseball. Since I was so late to the whole skating and hockey thing I was pretty bad. I was usually stuck on the bench and occasionally shoved onto the ice in the defensive zone. As time crept along I started to become bigger and could actually skate very well. Going into highschool we had our own hockey team and of course I joined. We were pretty good and I made varsity my freshman year! I wasn't a starter but it was expected since I was only fifteen and still not as big as all the massive eighteen year olds. When I did play I did fairly well. Nothing to write home about to be honest. In my Jr year I became a starting D man and I was one of the best in the state and still only a Jr. My high school went to finals and we did end up winning. This was the first time our school had ever won essentially anything so we were like the stars of the school. In my senior year it was more of the same domination from myself and the team. I once again was the best dman in the league and even had the most points in my own team since I would rack up assists and get the occasional goal. Still had no hat tricks but maybe that'll change in the future ;). After highschool I knew I wanted to keep playing and wanted to make this my future so I ended up declaring for the VHLM draft and the rest is history.

Nice little read and took me a minute or two to figure out St Louis is your home city!! Neat little fact that most Hockey players from Canada at least are actually some of our best baseball players as well as hockey players since Baseball helps with hand eye coordination. Sydney Crosby, while small played for the Province of Nova Scotia before he moved to Minnesota to play Prep High School Hockey. While his best friend would end up being Drafted by the LA Dodgers and have to make a choice between playing hockey as Pro or trying to play Pro Baseball. In the end he didn`t make it in either but go a free education as LA placed in University in Florida to play baseball and walked away as an eighteen year old with more then 20M with 7M just to walk away from Hockey and sign with the Dodgers.

We always joked the only Canadian Baseball players you see in the MLB are failed hockey players.