Is the VHLM ready for a star player who exclusively wears sunglasses?

Is the VHLM ready for a star player who exclusively wears sunglasses?

4331.png

A player by the name Sunglasses Joyo has been making some headlines in the VHLM recently, and the Halifax 21st must be pleased with how the first-year center has played. In a developing story however, it appears that not everybody is so keen on congratulating the youngster...

--

“It disrespects the game” said a referee who asked to remain anonymous, and whose name we were entirely unaware of anyway.  “All he does is sunglasses this! sunglasses that! Back in my day, you come into the rink with sunglasses like that, you’ll be leaving with a whole new pair!”

--

Gary Roberts retires after 21 NHL seasons | The Star

--

After spending a few minutes explaining his joke, the referee then chose to speak out about the competitive advantages of wearing sunglasses.

--

“How is a defenseman supposed to know where he’s looking if he keeps on wearing those sunglasses? What if I was trying to shine a bright light in his eyes before a shot, and the sunglasses made it impossible? Other players don’t get that kind of an advantage! His sunglasses can only be bad for the game!”

--

Bright Light GIFs | Tenor

-- 

Potentially true, but amidst the controversy of the mysterious Sunglasses Joyo has been a surprising season for the Halifax 21st. Jeffrey Bezos leads the league in points with 68 in 41 games. Defenseman Brodie Landry is tied for 2nd in the league in assists with 39. Goalie Geoff Bezos is top-5 in the league in save % (.912%) and Goals Against Average (2.39). This is especially impressive considering that Halifax 21st only have 1 defenseman signed to a contract.

There are a lot of stories that make Halifax a fun team to follow this year, but for some this is all for naught. They will judge the 21st solely on the player who aims to break down the eyewear boundary, Sunglasses Joyo, and his insistence to always wear his sunglasses.

--

“I think of the greats. Tiger Woods. LeBron James. Michael Jordan. Ethan Mann. Jacob Cookie Jr. Wow.

I don’t see any of those players needing to hide behind sunglasses to play the sport. It's a gimmick, and I can see right through it!”

--

Tiger Woods Wears his Nike Seige2 at The Masters Tournament - Blog Sunglass  Fix

--

Time will tell whether Sunglasses Joyo is able to establish himself as a player beyond his sunglasses, and perhaps even win over some of the more old-fashioned fans with his play.

Joyo has proven himself be a creative passer with 24 goals through 32 games. Recently his goal-scoring has sky-rocketed, with Sunglasses Joyo having 6 goals over the past 3 games. He also appears to be an effective player on the ice for Halifax, as he is the 2nd-highest player on the team for +/- at +14.

Amidst all the controversy that surrounds him, it appears that no stage is too bright for Sunglasses Joyo and the Halifax 21st. The team continues to improve as they prepare for the upcoming playoffs, where one can only imagine what kind of signs opposing teams will make to attack Sunglasses Joyo.

No sunglasses sign. No aviator red prohibition circle icon on white  background. Not allowed symbol. Forbidden entry. Ban. Vector illustration  Stock Vector Image & Art - Alamy

--

With a talented roster and strong leadership in place though, perhaps this could be the stage where Sunglasses Joyo truly breaks out…

HFX_bar.png

Review:  Great article!!  I loved how you used humor mixed with a good review of the club and the players that are contributing.  I really liked the different colors and most of the all the pictures that illustrate your story and break up the progression.  I find I will read all the media spots that use pics for some reason and gloss over others that don't.  So great job on that.  Loved the sense of humor throughout this article.  Great job!   9/10