Pre-Game Ritual Q&A With Dogwood Maple

dogwoodmaple

Q - You're known as a player with a lot of very distinct pre-game rituals. Can you enlighten us?

A - Well the first and most important one is that I always eat a ton of food before each game. I go to Waffle House and get the All-Star Special with a waffle, eggs scrambled with cheese, bacon, and grits.  Hasn't done me wrong yet.

Q - What about rituals in the locker room?

A - Before any big game, we always switch lockers with the person to our right. It was a lucky charm we did in the playoffs and it sorta stuck around.

Q - I also hear that you refuse to do something that most players swear by before the puck drops....

A - I'm not a stretcher.  I don't stretch at all on gameday and I haven't since my high school days.  Some people think I'm crazy for not doing it, but I have a very particular set of pre-game things that I do and that's not one of them.

Q - Have you ever tried to convince some of your teammates to join you in these oddities?

A - When I first joined the league, I did. But then I realized that everyone has their own little set of quirks and idiosyncrasies that makes them a special player.  I respect any and all that my teammates partake in.

Q - Last one - has that big Waffle House meal ever caused any intestinal distress during a game?

A - Absolutely not.  I've been eating Waffle House since I was a child and have an iron stomach when it comes to America's best breakfast.

(267 words)