Who will be the VHLM champion?

sadie

With the San Diego Marlins being eliminated, sadly, with two losses today, the VHLM playoff teams are officially confirmed. I thought I would give my opinions on who the most likely champions are in my inexperienced brain. 

The Clear #1: Las Vegas Aces

Far and away the most likely champion in my eyes, the Aces have been the most dominant team so far. With a 24 point lead on the 2nd place team in the league, they have easily clinched the top spot. They boast FIVE of the top 10 point-getters and their goaltender Cory Evans leads the league in wins, shutouts, save percentage, and GAA. Currently 13-2 in their last 15 games, they are red-hot. However, both of those losses came against Mississauga, so perhaps the Hounds will have their number in the playoffs as well.

Second Tier/Has A Chance

Mississauga Hounds

Mississauga sits atop the Eastern Conference, and is tied for second in the league with Mexico City. While they don’t necessarily have the flashiest players who lead the league in points, goals, etc, they are an extremely good team who gets results. Their 247 goals are among the best in the league in that department and they have 5 players over 70 points. They are the only team to have beaten Vegas recently, and I think they have a very good chance at winning it all.

Philadelphia Reapers

While the Reapers are 5th in points this year, I believe they have a very good chance at going on a run. They have 3 players at 200 TPE with a couple more on their way soon. 10 wins in their last 13 games shows them as one of the hotter teams in the VHLM right now. Two trades with the San Diego Marlins and some pickups during the season improved the roster, which I believe is better than their point total shows.

Mexico City Kings

Mexico City is an extremely good team and one that I may have underrated in these rankings. They are currently tied for second in the league, and have a deep team. 4 Kings players sit at 200 TPE, including a goaltender (Henry Tucker Jr). If their goaltending continues to show up, it could be a huge part of these playoffs. Las Vegas and Mississauga both have more rostered players than the Kings, which could be a problem if they are matched up.

Houston Bulls

The Bulls have an extremely strong roster, especially their skaters. They have 5 players at 200 TPE and only 3 below 100. Their roster is fully filled out, unlike Mexico CIty’s or Philadelphia’s and the only reason they aren’t ranked third on this list is because of the Kings’ goaltending/2 point lead in the standings and… my weird belief in Philadelphia that has probably been influenced by other people saying they’re going to be good. Anyway, I expect them to go far in these playoffs.

Bottom Tier/You Made the Playoffs

Halifax 21st

Halifax owns a significant point lead over the other teams in this tier, Ottawa and Saskatoon. It also has an extremely large goal differential lead. But as a team that is guaranteed a 5th place finish of below, they’ll be playing a very good team (I assume that’s how this seeding works). With only 6 forwards and 1 defenseman, I don’t see a scenario where they get anywhere, but anything can happen I suppose.

Ottawa Lynx

Ottawa, you did a great job of filling out your forward group. But the truth is, there are only two players on the team with triple digit TPE and you’ll probably be playing Mississauga or Las Vegas. Also you have no defense. Good luck.

Saskatoon Wild

I feel like having only 6 players against a top team won’t cut it. On the bright side, ⅓ of your team is at 200 TPE.

That’s the end of my very bad list; hopefully I get something right.

Champion: Mississauga Hounds because I kinda like upsets.