Astronomical Junior Review

8Ovechkin8

Ballin' and Shot Callin'

Astro Singh is an 18-year old prospect that spent his last season in the VHLM playing for the Saskatoon Wild. However, Astro's path to the highest level of junior hockey would be an unconventional one to say the least. Astro has never skated, picked up a hockey stick or even heard of hockey until he was 16 years old. Prior to hockey, Astro was a big time basketball, Division I prospected that in the process of being recruited by multiple mid-high tier schools that were in need of a skilled, athletic point guard. Things changed when Astro was asked by his friends to try out skating and shoot around at a local ice rink. It was here where Astro developed his love and desire to destroy his opponents physically. With this, he began to learn the game, watching every and any NHL and/or KHL game he possibly could. Anything that he could do to learn, he would do. He became a student of the game. From then on out, Astro, who was already a top level athlete, decided to go all in on hockey and practiced every day at the rink until he was able to join a local B league. In this B league however, he stood apart from the rest of the group quickly. Although he wasn't the most agile of players, his rink IQ set him leaps and bounds above his competition thus getting him scouted by a AAA coach who just happened to be in attendance watching another player on the opposing team. With this opportunity, Astro was able to make this team the next season and cannonball through the league as not only a big hitter, but an overall playmaker that could do it all. He then brought this style to the VHLM the next season as the Saskatoon Wild ended up taking a chance on a basketball player on skates. In his first season in the "M", he lead his team in points and ranked high among the league as well in most stat categories making him a must watch prospect heading into this seasons VHL draft. He hopes to bring grit, toughness and excitement to any team that decides that he is the right fit for them. When asked, Astro stated that he wants to be with one team for his entire career. "My uncles have all hopped around in this league but not one has been able to be the face of the franchise. I want to be able to say that I am, THAT guy."

Carolina Hurricanes celebrate win with basketball on skates