All Aboard the Cologne Express

Bojovnik

The Cologne Express are the form team in the VHLE. After a disappointing start, the German side have shot up the standings after going on an 8-1-1 run over the past 10 games

During this run, the Express picked up a pair of victories over early-season leaders Oslo Storm, and they also managed to get the best of the second-place team, the Bratislava Watchmen.

The Express may lack the offensive flair of the Oslo Storm, but the German side has the second-best defensive record in the VHLE, and forward Yaroslav Bogatyrev said that Cologne’s players have bought into what the management team has tried to instill into them.

“Offense wins games, defence wins championships. That’s the motto that our coaching staff brought in ahead of the season. It took some time, but we’re starting to see those words come into action, Bogatyrev said.

The Russian forward, who is projected to be a top pick in the S86 VHL Entry Draft, currently has 12 points through 20 games, and he said that he was happy with how things are going.

“If the team is winning, I’m happy. Sure, I want to be contributing more offensively, but I think I’m making things happen without the puck, and that is helping the team,” he said.