My VHL Fantasy team

MetalToday

Intro

Yes, this is a little bit late, but I still want to talk about my Fantasy picks and why I picked who I picked. Since we are already halfway through the season, I will also provide some of the fantasy scoring numbers for each player, what they are doing well this season, and what they might need to improve on. So, I will go in the order of my picks:

1.       D – Hard Markinson

Well Nico Pearce went first overall, so who else could I pick other than Hard Markinson? The top defenseman for last year with a crazy 253 hits, 116 shots blocked, and 106 points as a defense! Being on a top team in Moscow yet again, why wouldn’t I have expected another good year?

Well now that we are half a season into the season, it is good to look at what Markinson has done, and well, he hasn’t been as amazing as last season. He is scoring heavily, but he is only on track for about 90 points which is quite lower than the previous season. 90 points is good, but 2nd overall you’d hope he could snag a few more points. Although the scoring is down a little, the hitting for Markison and shot blocking ability is just where it was last season, which is good for the passive daily points. Right now, Markinson has 140.5 points put onto my team, making him the 2nd best player in my group, only to have Pearce collecting more points than him.

2.       F – Vinny Detroit

Vinny Detroit is a gritty phenom that plays for a good team in HC Davos. Detroit had a good showing last season with 373 hits, and 82 points making him have a gritty scorer play style, and being a S80 draftee, the likeliness of the player getting better improves greatly.

Detroit has played only one season for Davos, and had a career year, being on this team for his second year, Detroit was believed to take off with his career. The quite opposite of a career year, right now Detroit has 163 hits which is great, but he is on track to collect about 50 less hits than last season, as well he has only collected 26 points in his 35 games, that’s a big regression from the 82 points in 72 games last year. I wouldn’t be surprised if Detroit comes alive by the end of the season, but it’s looking a little grim right now. Detroit currently has 99.9 fantasy points, so nothing terrible, but I did expect more production in all honesty.

3.       F – Matty Fire

Matty Fire is a Toronto player that just had a breakout season, and he was looking strong offensively and defensively. He collected over a point a game last season and complemented that with a strong 230 hits, and 32 shots blocked. With the season he had and a rising Legion team that would need some of his top scoring, the belief was there and as a 3rd round pick, this would possibly be a steal.

After playing 34 games, Matty Fire is looking alright, he is currently not at the point a game he was last season, but he is keeping up with his 121 hits and 18 shots blocked. To even get to the season he had last season he would need some more points, but the defensive stats are there, so if he can avoid that sacrifice, than that could give him a better year. We know Fire is better than the 92.1 fantasy league points he put up, but we will need to see how the rest of his season goes for further judgement.

4.       D – Poopy Peepants

Ahh yes, Poooopy Ppeepants has a name for the ages, but his game is something for the fantasy winners. Peepants has good shot blocking ability, and isn’t afraid to throw his body around here and there, but his point totals have been increasing ever since entering the VHL. There was only one season Peepants wouldn’t at least collect the numbers he did the previous year, but he was still only 4 points off. For this increase, I thought it would be appropriate to pick him later, and possibly steal him.

Poopy Peepants has had an underwhelming season to say the least. Peepants has lost his point a game record and is trailing with 23 points in 35 games right now. He moved to New York which might be a part of the cause for his failure, but it seems like a bad move if he wanted the season he did with DC. Peepants has been hitting and blocking shots like he used to, maybe minorly regressing on that front, but all in all he was a 4th round pick, you can’t expect him to be Pearce. Peepants has a low fantasy rating of 84.2, making him the lowest performing player on my team unfortunately, or fortunately as we are only on pick number 4.

5.       F – Brendan Marner

Aww yes, you know I was going to pick myself as some point. Well Brendan Marner hasn’t had the best couple of years on Warsaw, only really having a notable season in his rookie season. Brendan Marner has had a history of giving a lot of hits, but like his point totals, that seemed to be regressing as well. Marner was still looking good for the passive defensive points he could provide, but this pick was a big risk, especially as he has had poor seasons on the Warsaw team, and he seems to refuse to leave.

Well, how has Brendan Marner done this season? Well, he is currently on the top 10 for most points, and he was on the top 10 for most goals at one point as well, before losing that after a small scoring drought. Marner has also come back with heavy hits and strengthening on his shots blocked. Marner is looking good for Warsaw, and if he can continue this streak, he might be the biggest steal of the draft. In fact, this 5th round pick has given me the second most fantasy league points on my team, only to have Markison in front. Marner has 115.3 fantasy points making me excited to see how the rest of his season goes.

6.       G – Wumbo

Last but certainly not least we have Wumbo. There was so many good goalies, so I thought I would wait till the end to see who was available, but it turned out the GOAT goalies where taken, so I really had to look for- lol that’s a lie, I saw this young Champions name and I had to have him, Warsaw has a good team, they were not going to miss the playoffs, and the goalie has had a really good track record with save percentage going up season after season, and goals against average at a good value as well. For some reason Wumbo seems to be the underrated goaling in the VHL, but that would be everyone else’s lose, and only my gain.

What has he done this season? Well, Wumbo has 19 wins and 10 loses, and is on track to have the exact same stats as last season, except he has an even better save percentage. The idea that goaltenders would either be underrated or drop to the end ended up being very true, and an elite goaltender ended up being picked with the second last pick. His fantasy points is quite high at 105.8 making him, the 6th round pick, be my 3rd highest player on the team. Wow I feel I had a good deep draft from this.

Ranks

My group in group 6 has some pretty good teams with Sadie’s team at the number one spot with 663.3 fantasy points, than I am second with 637.8 fantasy points. As we hit the number 3 spot, this is where things go from tight, to very tight. Qripll has collected 609.5 points to take hold that number 3 spot, DQ (I love their ice cream) is 4th with 598.9 fantasy points      before you go crazy calling me stupid its xNJDevilsFanx (DQ) he got DQed but continued the picking, this gives only half of the TPE reward      , and the group GM Acydburn is in spot number 5 with 586.7. Last, we have Ben Mclaughlin in the last spot with 547.9 fantasy league points. The gap isn’t crazy far between most of these teams, and we very well might see some upsets by the seasons end.

Conclusion

In the end my team is second in my group with some very close competition, so if my underperformers can come back and reperform, then this could be the best team created in my group pushing me hopefully to number 1. But I guess that is what everyone wants. What did you think of my picks? Obviously I didn’t have access to half of the season like we do now, but is there anyone you would have tried to pick instead? And what are your fantasy teams looking like?

• 3 weeks later...