Dogwood's Holiday Dessert Power Rankings

dogwoodmaple

The holidays are a time for rest, relaxation, and most importantly - eating good food.  Which good foods, exactly? I'm glad you asked!  Let's countdown my top 10 favorite holiday snacks and treats.

#7 - Egg nog
I know this is going to be a polarizing choice, but there's something about the decadence of egg nog that stands out and earns a place on this list.  I don't know that I can do more than a few healthy sips in one sitting, but man does it absolutely hit the spot.  For those of legal drinking age, you can always include a splash of your favorite spirit to help warm you up!

#6 - Peppermint bark
Chocolate and peppermint - what's not to love?  This delicious treat combines a flavor pairing that's on the list of all-time greats.  Plus, you can break off a small piece to eat on the go or eat a whole heaping with a nice cup of coffee after dinner.  There's just something really "holiday" about a chunk of this delicious confection.

#5 - Bûche de Noël
Also known as a Yule Log Cake, this dessert is up there with gingerbread when it comes to being the essence of Christmas.  A wonderful rolled cake with your choice of filling, with a delicious layer of chocolate on the exterior.  Definitely the centerpiece of any holiday table and it tastes fantastic, to boot!

#4 - Linzer cookies
This is by far the most labor intensive holiday treat on this list, but it is so worth it.  Two almond flavored cookies with a layer of delicious raspberry jam in-between them?  And covered with powdered sugar?  Such a great treat for the holidays and the perfect mix of sweet and tart.  But like I said, don't start this recipe unless you've got hours to spend - they take all day.

#3 - Apple pie
Is it a little boring?  Sure. But there's a reason why it's been a constant fixture on the holiday dessert table for so long.  It's the North Star of desserts - not the best tasting, not the most extravagant, but the one you can always count on to be really, really good.  Its consistency is what sets it apart and why I always make sure it's part of my holiday menu.  Throw on a scoop of vanilla ice cream to take it up a notch.

#2 - Spice cake
Not crazy about super sweet dishes?  Spice cake is the treat for you.  It's just sweet enough, but relies on the delicious combination of all those famous holiday spices.  The right balance of flavor and texture will check all the boxes for you during the holiday season.  Plus, combine this with a cup of coffee and you'll have the perfect cozy evening.

#1 - Gingerbread cookies
The undisputed GOAT of holiday treats, gingerbread stands alone atop the mountain.  But it has to be homemade gingerbread with lots of ginger.  It's not easy getting the right consistency, but when you get that perfect soft chew combined with the perfect royal icing?  Absolutely unbeatable.  Find you someone who can whip these up and you'll love them forever.