Helsinki and Toronto are bad

scoop

As a highly rated draft prospect, I'm keeping a close eye on the VHL this season. While I may not go first or second overall, I do expect to be a lottery selection. Keeping that in mind, I'm watching especially closely the teams outside of the playoffs. A third of the way through the season, there are two teams that I am quite confident will not be making the playoffs, while even the current seventh place teams in either conference could potentially sneak in. Those two teams, the worst in the VHL, are Helsinki and Toronto. Here are my thoughts on them, specifically as they relate to my player and the chance that I get drafted by them.

First off, a couple notes on the franchises and their GM's, because both of the two teams are in the same boat on this matter. Despite these being two of the teams that have been around since I first joined the league, and my combined 61 seasons in the VHL with all my players, I have not played a single game for either of these two teams. I wouldn't say that affects my desire to be drafted by either of them in any way; it's just an observation, really. Among the GM and assistant GM's for these two teams, animal74 is the only one of the four with whom I've really interacted much at all, that being when we were on Malmo together early in Taylor Mourning's career.

Looking at their current roster, I don't really see Helsinki having much of an interest in drafting a defenseman, but if they can't get their hands on FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist, they might have to settle. They have some good, young defensemen already, so if they can extend those guys, they would probably be looking for forward help. The best players on their roster going forward, however, are two forwards (Daryl Dixon, Rick Grimes) and a goalie (Fuukka Rask), so they could opt for an elite defenseman. They definitely have some promise, so I wouldn't hate to be drafted by them.

Likewise, Toronto has some very good pieces, though I think they are missing a bit more than Helsinki. Forwards Mac Atlas and Jimi Jaks are two of the top players from the S87 draft, and they are set at goalie for a while as well with Joel Castle. Beyond those players, they don't have any young players already in the VHL and only one other current prospect who will make be in the VHL next season. I do think I would fill a need for the team, but I think they really need everything other than a goalie at this point in time. Just as with Helsinki, I wouldn't have a problem with them picking me. I think I would fit their window pretty well.