Theme week Oslo and Cologne Rivalry

KRZY

What makes a good rivalry ? Playoff battles , regular seasons battling for top spot in the league ? Back and forth season series ? Or is it just plain competitive games every single time 2 teams step on the ice ? I know when I think of rivalries I think of Calgary vs Edmonton , Boston vs Montreal , Detroit vs Colorado. 

Well I’m here to talk about one of the VHLE ‘s more notable rivalries in recent years the Oslo Storm vs The Cologne Express. 

in the past 2 seasons these teams have battled it out multiple times for top spot in the league , and also have met in the playoffs twice both times Oslo won the series and had the last laugh . But with all of that being said let’s take an in depth look at one of the most exciting rivalries in the VHL . Storm vs Express !

now this rivalry really kicked off in season 85 Oslo had one of the best teams in recent memory finishing the year 48-19-5 for a total of 101 points , Cologne was always a team that gave Oslo difficulty that year and they reinforced that narrative in the playoffs taking Oslo to 6 games in the quarter finals before the storm went on to win their first Renaissance cup .

That off season @leandrofg completely overhauled the Express and they went on a run for the ages in Season 86 they would end up finishing 58-10-4 setting the record for most points in a season with 120 . This particular year was rough for Oslo as they had to make the playoffs as a wildcard winner . But they’d make it all the way to the finals once again playing Cologne in an epic series ultimately winning their second Renaissance cup in a row despite Colognes ridiculously good regular season.

In Season 87 we would see both teams come in with excellent rosters competing for the tops spot all season long so far going back and forth from first to second , neither team really giving an inch this season while separating themselves from the rest of the league . Oslo currently holds the edge in the season series 3-2 . It’s looking like they will once again compete against each other to get to or win the Renaissance cup . 

one things for sure when these teams match up it’s never a boring game. And both teams look forward to the matchups during the season , and they absolutely live for the playoffs series they play against each other . The rivalry has spilled out in the locker rooms and the VHLE discord as there’s always fun banter whenever they matchup . But really tho that’s what makes hockey fun and exciting. Because without rivalries it wouldn’t be that interesting.

@JB123 and @leandrofg I can honestly say thank you for creating an exciting rivalry with so many exciting chapters that have taken place so far . Here’s to more series and nail biters down the road

may the best team win cheers boys !!

10 hours ago, leandrofg said:

You stole my theme! 😁

Although I have a different view... is it really a rivalry if you continuously beat us? 🫣

Always competitive games whenever we play against eachother tho ! And it’s a close race in the standings this season . I think it is forsure haha

Edited by KRZY