Interview with Molly the Cat, end of season expectations

JCarson

Molly the Cat, you are 64 games into the season and only have 52 points. Can you talk about how the season has gone and what you are doing to impact the team? 

This season has not gone as expected at the beginning of the season. There are two definite items that have contributed to my low production. First management asked me to take on a different role this season. I was put on the second line to add leadership and to provide a defensive spark to the line. It has been a tough adjustment to both playing increased defensive minutes and keeping my production where I wanted it to be. I still believe I have had a productive season but would have liked the numbers higher. I have had the chance to sit down with team ownership to discuss how this season has progressed, and I expect we may see some changes for next season. I cannot say anything more than that now. The second item of note is that I have been fighting a couple of injuries all season. Playing a more physical, defensive game is rough on the body. Early in the season I took a stray stick to the wrist which interfered with my ability to shoot, a little later I twisted my knee while in the corner grinding for a puck. Both those injuries slowed my production down a bit. In this league it only takes a couple games of low production, and you fall behind. The VHL is the top talent in the world. 

Molly the Cat, you are involved in a very tight fight for the playoffs. Did you expect such a tight race in the European conference, and do you expect to make the playoffs, or at least the play in tournament? 

As I mentioned before the VHL is made up of the top talent from across the world, as every game is a fight to win. Now I am not sure anyone would have predicted such a tight race in the European conference, the fact that we are sitting with 8 games remaining in the season and position 2 through 7 are all fighting for the chance to make the playoffs is not typical, but it does make for exciting hockey. London is in a tough position, 6 of our last 8 games have been against Davos and Calgary, two of the better teams in the league. If we cannot pull out wins against those two teams, we are not going to make the playoffs this year. We are going to need to play some of the best hockey we have had this season to make sure we get into a playoff position. Hopefully, the other teams have as tight of a schedule as we have.

Molly the Cat, a more lighthearted question. I hear that you are close to signing an endorsement deal with Tourism London. Tell me about your thoughts on this.

I few weeks ago I was approached by my agent, he received a phone call from Tourism London, they are looking at putting together some advertisements for the tourist areas around town and want to entice those people coming into town for VHL games to stay a little longer and see some of the other sites. My agent is working through the details, and I expect that the agreement will be finalized shortly. We will be looking at filming the commercials during the offseason