Will Anyone Take Notice?

Ozzy Batty

Will Anyone Take Notice of this Kid from Meath?

Otis Boudreaux Jr. I still cant get used to calling myself that. For the 1st 13 years of my life I was Liam. But family traditions are very strong with the Boudreaux clan. Even though I have tried to live life my way, I still feel it. So the name change was made and the oddest thing was to see the smile on Ma's face. I didnt understand that. I was afraid to ask. So I packed my kit three years ago and went off to Galway. Ma and Dad would call me at least once a week, see how I was doing and ask about the games. Ma didnt really understand but she would congratulate me and make me feel so proud, in that way that only Ma's can do.

When I first talked to them it was excitement that I made it on the ice. I remember telling them I was the Left-Wing on the 4th line and they were so excited. After Ma had hung up and it was just me and Dad, he asked if that was a big thing. I explained how the lines work and that the best players are normally on the first line but that coaches will mix up the first 2 lines to try to keep them balanced. I said it was a start and I heard him give me that grunt that I was never sure was in approval or acceptance. 

But as the months went by the conversations started to change. I would start to tell them about an assist now and then. I remember when I told them about my first goal. Even though Ma didnt understand all of the hockey references, that is a concept she completely understood and I think that scream was heard all around town. Dad gave his usual grunt but Ma later told me he was telling everyone around the local that I had scored. 

The first extended break of the season occurred and I asked to go back home for a couple of weeks. Uncle, oh man, I realize I didnt tell anyone his name, his name is Colm, so yea, Uncle Colm said he would drive me home. He didnt say much on the trip except to remind me that I needed to practice every day. I remember asking the coach how I was to practice when we didnt have a rink in Meath? I loved his answer to be honest, he said to use my roller skates. I was so excited to be heading home and couldnt wait to hit the pavement in our street with my pals. 

I forgot to share about life with Uncle Colm. He seemed to like having me there. I was staying in Otis's old room. Some of his gear was in there still. I was going through the boxes in the corner of the closet and found his old Houston Bulls jersey. It had some minor tears in it and I swear I could see a couple of blood stains even though Otis Sr (I guess I will call him that)  claimed he never got into a fight. I closed the door to my room (his room) and pulled it over my shoulders. It looked so BIG. Even with my pads on it would have swallowed me whole. I felt like there was never going to be a time when I would be able to fill that jersey. Be it my own or the idea of who Otis Sr might have become. 

I had this room with a bed and a small side table where I had a little picture of Otis Sr on the ice for the Bulls. I dont know for sure if he scored in attempt, but if not he sure gave it one hell of a try. Uncle Colm had taken down all of the posters that I knew had to have been in there. It was just 4 plain walls, the bed and the side table. I actually had my own bathroom. He had a bathroom off of his room down the hall so the other one was just for me. I felt so out of place there, like I was expected to become a clone of Otis Sr. I knew that would never happen so would I end up disappointing everyone?

I got my answer one day when I came home from practice. I had been there a couple of months and it was tough talking to m parents on the house phone. Either I had to call them or they called me and the cost of those calls started to add up. I had never had a mobile phone, my parents just couldnt afford one for me. We were not poor, but it was just something we never had. Meath isnt a big place, everyone knows everyone and if any of us kids needed a ride or anything there was always a parent there to pick us up. But being in Galway was different. It is much bigger and I didnt really know anyone. So any way, I came home from practice and just kind of tossed my kit in my room and headed to take a shower. Boy, those practices can be tough sometimes. Anyway, I headed back to my room wanting to just stretch out and what did I see on my pillow? Nothing more than a top of the line Samsung mobile phone! I couldnt help but let out a yelp. I heard this voice behind me, Uncle Colm was asking if it was alright? Alright, damn, yes it is! It is bloody awesome! He told me it had unlimited text and in-country calling so I could call my parents whenever I wanted to. I went over and gave him a half-hug. He is not the demonstrative type but I felt like he enjoyed it as much as I did. 

As time went by Uncle Colm added more and more things to my room. One day I came home to see a tv in my room. Another day a small desk and chair. Then it was a Playstation and then a laptop. I started to put posters on the wall, making the room my own. It felt odd when I went back to my parent's house. It seemed so odd to be in this "other" room that was mine. The first time I went back I didnt bring my laptop. I didnt want my parents to feel bad because I had one now. But after a few more trips, I started to bring it. It just was a thing that I took with me everywhere I went. 

So anyway, every time I went home it was the same. I would practice using my street skates and would have games with the lads around the neighborhood. I started to notice that I was getting better and better. At first, I was just a little bit better, but as time went by I got to where it was pretty much guaranteed that I was going to score whenever I wanted to. The other lads didnt get mad or anything, they seemed to enjoy it...at least they never acted like it bothered them.  

The cycle was set. I would spend the season with Uncle Colm. It was a steady routine of practice before and after school. I would try to fit my homework in when I could, but lets be honest, who likes to do homework? On the weekends we would play our games. There was normally one in the morning and then another later in the day. With 2 games a day I was completely worn-out by Sunday evening. But I started to see a difference. I actually could feel like I was getting better. Moving around the ice with the puck just seemed natural. The hockey stick started to feel like an extension of my body. I didnt even have to think about what to do, it just came natural. 

My parents became more and more excited by how things were going. I think they were proud of how I was getting better. My coach started to compare me to my namesake. I didnt really take any notice of it. I mean, of course he is going to say I am getting better, that is what he is paid to do, make me better. But I felt like I was actually getting better, I felt like I was getting to the point that I was the best player on the ice. I know that sounds arrogant. But I went from 4th line....to 3rd...to 2nd...then 1st. Not only was I on our regular 1st line, but the first line for Penalty Kills and Power Plays. I actually became our 1st option on a penalty shootout. For me, it all came together this last season. I was elected the team captain. I called my parents and showed them the "C" on my jersey. Dad grunted and Ma screamed her approval. Dad went down to the local pub to buy everyone a round because I had reached this milestone. 

The season started and we were picked to win the league. I was team captain and was looked to as the leader on the ice and in the locker room. My parents had come to see a couple of games over the last 2 years and I seemed to get an extra little lift when I knew they were there. I also started to notice as the season went on that our home games the stands were just a little more full. There were not as many gaps in the stands as I was used to seeing. My first season we were last to bottom in our local league. Then my second season we were picked to be mid-table but ended up finishing third....not bad for a 10 team league. But this season, yea, we were picked to finish top of the league. No pressure huh?

Well, the season ended last week. It is hard to believe. We won the first game and never really looked back. I led the league in goals, ironically that is not something I ever had on my radar of things to accomplish. But the team was so tight. We skated and acted as one. We practiced so hard. But we saw the results on the ice. We had a pattern going throughout the season. We would win 2 or 3 games, then lose 1 or tie 1 or 2. We were not really challenged for the title. We ended the season 26-8-4. Our goal difference was +26. 

I remember that last game so clearly. At the time I didnt know it would be my last one with the Galway Stallions. Well, I now hope that it is my last. Is that bad that I hope I dont go back to that team? I feel almost like a traitor saying that. But my send off was so grand. So back to the beginning of that last game. In the locker room before the game, the coach asked me to give the team talk. I remember I talked about how important the concept of "team" was. I remember I never talked about the title, I never talked about my winning the scoring title, nothing about all of that. I just wanted us to enjoy our time on the ice. I wanted us to just have fun because no matter what...this was going to be our last time on the ice together as the Galway Stallions. When we were on the ice, I wont lie, it was like poetry in motion. We moved as one, we thought as one, we acted as one. We scored at ease, we defended as one. Yes, it was against the team that would end the season in second place, but there was a massive gap between us. The season was one that we just knew it was going to be our year...and we played like it. 

The game ended 6-0. I scored 2 and had 2 assists. My goal tally for the season was 20 with 16 assists. Not too bad, even if I have to say so myself. The trophy was presented, the cheering was over. I hadnt told anyone that I had gotten that call. I didnt want to break this "zone" we were in. I hope that if things dont work out, I can come back here and be accepted like nothing had happened. I was out on the ice by myself. I skated around the circles, along the blue and red line and took, what I hope, are my last shots at the empty net. As I skated towards to locker room I looked up one last time and saw a shadow. I slowed down and tried to focus on what I was seeing, but there was someone sitting up there. He was there until I left the ice. Could it be? I mean, could that be Otis, my namesake? No, that would just be too much.

I went back to Uncle Colms and told him that I had gotten a call to try out for the Junior Showcase Tournament.  I am going to be given my shot, my chance for people to see what I can do. My chance to hopefully catch the eye of someone from a professional team. My chance to move to the next level. I told him how nervous I was. I even told him how I felt seeing that person at the arena. I was kind of scared to be honest, who was that guy? That is when I got the bombshell, it was Otis. Otis Boudreaux had come to see me play. Uncle Colm told me that he had actually see me play more than once. Otis and Uncle Colm had met for a pint after the game was over and Otis told him that he was very proud of me and what I had done. He knew that I had that "it". Even though no one can tell me what "it" is. So yea, no more pressure on me there.

I am on my way to the tournament site. I feel like there is so much weight on me....now....I know I have Otis's approval. Maybe one day I will get the chance to talk to him. But yea...that is like thinking that I would be able to talk to a ghost...a mirage...a dream. What else can I ask for? 

Yea, that list is pretty long, HAHA.

Word count: 2,428.
Claimed: (was told I could claim 4 times since it is over 2,000 words, please let me know if this is not true)
Week ending 12 Mar

Edited by Otis Boudreaux Jr
Added 2nd claimed week

• 2 weeks later...