Mid-Season Sit Down with The Irish Kid

Mid-Season Sit Down with The Irish Kid

(Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) As the season moves past the mid-way point and the Saskatoon Wild struggle to find consistent form, there has been one youngster that has quietly been making a name for himself. Otis Boudreaux, Jr was selected by the Wild with the 1st pick of the 3rd round of the Season 88 VHLM draft. This relative unknown carries the name of his idol, Otis Boudreaux, who had his career cut short because of the need to help out with a family situation. The young man joined a squad with many draft picks and has worked hard to be a contributing member of the squad. We decided to sit down with the new "Irish Kid" and find out just a little bit more from the youngster.

Galway Ireland is quite a bit different from Saskatoon. How have you been able to settle in here? 

I was lucky to be able to spend some time with some of my teammates at the World Junior Championship. That was a real eye-opener. I had always felt I was pretty good, but being around those guys, I realized that I had alot of work to do. So knowing some of my new teammates here definitely helped. I wasnt expecting the cold weather though. The coach told me to go and buy a new coat, mine wasnt heavy enough. I thought he was joking, until it got cold! Now I have a very thick one.

How surprised were you by the All-Star game selection?
I still cant believe it. I remember when my phone rang and this reporter was asking me about being voted onto the team. I thought it was one of those prank calls, you know, like where they put you on the radio or something. But then the coach called and told me it was true. I still dont think I deserve it. I have some great teammates that I have been able to settle in with. So to me, this is a recognition of how well our team can play.

Speaking of the season, any thoughts on what has happened?

If I could answer that I would be the coach! Seriously though, I have no idea. We have been working hard, putting in the time on the ice. But the shots just dont seem to be going the right way for us. We are taking shots, but just miss. In practice, we hit 90% of the time, but in the game, we just flat out miss. We are giving up too many goals. But no matter how many we give up, when we are not scoring, then yea, the team loses. But we believe we can get better and win, who knows, maybe we will win 14 in row now that we have lost that many in a row?

You have been improving over the course of the season, now as the team's leading goal scorer with 24, 22 assists for 46 points. What do you attribute that to?

Hard work, good coaches and fantastic teammates. No team can win with just 1 player. We work together, we win together, we lose together. Personal accolades are nice, but they dont win games. I am here to win games and if good things happen for me in the process, then all the better. But winning games is what I am here for.

Lastly, what is next for The Irish Kid, Otis Boudreaux Jr?

To be honest, I dont know. I understand there is another draft coming up that I will be a part of. Maybe even 2. But we need to get through this season first. After that, well, it is really out of my hands. I am looking forward to a long career in the VHL. I want to surpass my namesake, not to outdo him, but to prove I am worthy of his name. But the immediate thing I do know...as soon as the season is over I am flying home to see my family. If I learned nothing else from Otis Sr it is the importance of family. There is no computer program, no video chat, that can replace the hug of my Mom...and yea...I miss that alot.

This youngster from Ireland seems to have wisdom and patience beyond his years. The disappointing season for the Wild may continue, but the future looks bright for this kid from Galway.

Word Count: 730
Claimed: Weed ending 30 Apr