Head Above the Rest: VHL Recruitment and Retention

It is May and therefore I must write so my silly little players can get their silly little points.

It has been interesting to see how other leagues have been handling the post-COVID recruitment death spiral. Tons of contractions and management changes, and honestly I’m impressed and surprised that the VHL has done as well as it has. I have no idea whether it was simply good planning, blind ignorance on my part or sheer dumb luck, but the VHL really has stood above the rest when it comes to recruitment, retention and general competitive consistency.

Sure, some drafts are weaker than others, but the drafts are so rarely a good indicator of what the class will look like looking back on its entirety. Every trade deadline I take a look at who is retiring and recreating and outside of literally creating a new draft class from scratch last season, the drafts are full of great recreates and first gens. Maybe I just feel blessed seeing recreates again but there are tons of huge names coming back around that I’m super excited to see, and tons of first gens I’m excited to take them down a few notches.