VHLM Power Rating 5/3/2023

I got bored today when I was supposed to be working and put together a power rating for the VHLM. I will additionally update after each set of games and include more about impact matches and do more of a write up about the most recent matches. 

What is a power rating? A power rating isn't manually ranking teams based on standings and how I "feel" about them. It uses just the basic scores of each game. It takes into consideration the score differential of each team, the impact of being home in lieu of away, and the rating of the team it's playing and mixes it all together to create a power rating. I spent a good chunk of time putting it together but the hard work is done and I'll be able to update and share accordingly after each set of matchups. 

In addition to the power rating, it gives game odds for future matches. I will spice them up a bit to share next time as they look a bit clunky.

Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas. 

Cheers!

5-2-23 VHLM Power Ratings.jpg

Edited by handfullofbubba
Error in Title year. 2028 instead of 2023

1 hour ago, Pifferfish said:

@handfullofbubbadoes this weigh recent games more than earlier ones? Like my team in sim one obviously isnt as reflective of us as it is in sim 30. Idk just curious

No not yet. I'll be altering it as time goes on. I'll likely plug some more data including players in stuff in R and see what fun stuff I can find. 

4 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

I'm confused, why is there such a big drop off from 3 to 4? Does this only take goal differential into account?

Yeah primarily just goal difference based on the power rating of the opposing team. So empty net goals and overtime/shootouts don't make a difference yet. I'll be evolving it over time. Hope to get players involved at some point.