Tobias Weiss - Prospect Scouting Report.

jfaly

Tobias Weiss - What Kind of Player Will You Be Drafting?

Tobias Weiss is a promising defensive prospect from the S89 Draft Class, but what kind of player is Weiss exactly?

Looking at his stats, there doesn’t seem to be much to be frothing at the mouth for. Joining the Houston Bulls roughly half-way through the season, Weiss has played 40 games with an average statline of 12-16–28. His plus/minus, although a stat that is now heavily criticised in the era of advanced stats, is also nothing pretty with it sitting at -7. However, delving deeper into his stats, you can see the physical presence that Weiss brings. As a second pairing defenseman, Weiss averaged 1.45 shots blocked per game and 2.28 (Rounded up) hits per game.

When asked about his style of play and the type of player he aims to become, Weiss was quoted as saying:

“As a bigger body, I do intend to be out there throwing hits and blocking shots. I think of myself as a two-way defenseman, capable of quarterbacking the offence but also being a guy that coaches can rely on in our own zone.”

Weiss failed to mention his nose for the net in the interview. Despite playing only 40 games, Weiss managed to put up 96 shots on goal, thus leading the Houston defence in SOG/GP with an average of 2.4. Weiss also has 3 game winning goals to his name, no doubt a product of his ever developing cannon of a slapshot.

There are certainly areas of Weiss’ game he has to improve, as with most prospects. The biggest flaw with Weiss is his tendency to take penalties in crucial moments of games. Weiss racked up 38 PIMs, which doesn’t seem like much at first, but there were multiple penalties that just didn’t need to occur. It’s no doubt a byproduct of Weiss’ more physical style of hockey, but it’s certainly an area that needs to be coached out of him.

Despite his flourishing skill, there are question marks around whether or not Weiss is ready for playoff hockey in the world’s top league, but Weiss seems to believe he is ready for it. When asked about the playoffs, Weiss gave this quote to the media:

“Playoff hockey is different. There’s no doubt about that. I have faith that my work ethic will help me produce for our team, and I think we have a real shot of going far. As long as I keep working hard, putting in the time and getting better, there’s no reason to doubt me or the team.”

Tobias Weiss is certainly a prospect teams should keep an eye on going into the draft, especially if they want somebody who can be relied upon in their own zone as well as provide bursts of offence when it’s appropriate.

Edited by jfaly
changed formatting a tad to look nicer