Being a Player in the Draft(s)

Ozzy Batty

How to respond to being drafted? Not only once in the VHLM, but now in the Junior Showcase as well? The thrill of being in a draft, seeing your name called. So far, there has been nothing like it! I never expected to go in the 3rd Round of the VHLM Draft. But now there has been the Junior Showcase and I was selected 16th. I was not even expecting be drafted in this tournament! I was back home in Ireland, spending my days reading books, catching up with my friends, and , of course, hitting the ice every chance I got. 

I came home from spending the afternoon at the rink when Dad told me I had gotten a call. I was going to play for the Royals in the Junior Showcase, if I wanted to that is. That is one thing about Dad and Mom, they support me along this journey, but it has been my choices all along. So I packed my bags and caught a flight back to Toronto where I will travel on to join my teammates. I am so excited for this chance to once again try to help my teammates win a trophy! All of us gets asked about winning personal honors, I do not care one way or the other. I just want to be an asset to my team.

So we have this tournament and then I will head home again, maybe. One of the other guys on the Royals stated that he was going to try to get some pick-up games going after the tournament to try to showcase our talents. I may hang around so I can hopefully help someone get a little better, maybe help them catch the eye of that scout that will open the doors for them.

Then, the VHLE Draft, who knows what will happen then? That will be followed sometime for me anyway, in the future, by the VHL Draft. 

What a ride it has been! I cannot wait to see what comes next?

Word Count: 340 words

Week Claimed: Week of 21 May

The draft was one of my favorite parts as well!  I feared it was going to be down hill after that but now as an AGM I get to help make the picks, plus my player still participates in the ProAM and hopefully will get to join Team Canada in the World Cup at some point so the drafts keep coming!