Summers vs. Teno: PLAYOFF EDITION

kirbithan

T2MNr0E.jpg

DAVOS, CH — HC Davos Dynamo have done the unthinkable after going down three games in the series against the Moscow Menace, turning the tide and defeating them in a reverse sweep. Meanwhile, London United eliminated the first place Prague Phantoms in five games and have been impressive throughout the playoffs so far. These two fiery and scrappy teams will now face each other in Round 3 of the Continental Cup Playoffs.

This goes to mention the rivalries that come with this matchup, as Siyan Yasilievich will be facing his former club— while good friends Lachlan Summers and Jesse Teno will square up in the crease for the first time in the playoffs, and potentially the first meeting of many. These two netminders have a rivalry that’s been blossoming over the course of this season and is sure to grow over the course of their young careers.

Summers, who is still considered a rookie and in his first season starting for Davos, has backstopped his team to his first playoff series win in his entire career (VHLM/VHLE/VHL), and Teno has simply been spectacular and consistent thus far. Comparing the two, Summers has a 4-2-1 record, .924 SV%, and a 3.14 GAA. On the other hand, Teno boasts a 7-1-1 record, .955 SV%, 1.51 GAA, and three shutouts. Teno, on paper, has had better numbers and more experience under their belt in the big leagues, but Summers has been shown to be resilient and clutch when the time has called for it. 

“I can’t think of a better team to be a part of right now. Nobody on this Davos squad was playing scared against Moscow. We took it one game at a time and put on a hell of a performance and comeback. These guys deserve all of the praise in the world, and we’re hungry for more,” quoted Summers in a press conference after game 7 against Moscow. “London has been a thorn in our side lately, but we want to change that.”

Summers was also asked about his rivalry with Teno, who he has kept in contact with since they were both players in the VHLM. 

“Jesse has stood on their head for London. That’s all I have to say. They’re playing like their life depends on it and I respect that. I know how hard they work and to be able to play against them in this next round will be thrilling. Plus, when Davos wins, the bragging rights will be unreal. It’s all in good fun, though. Anything that happens on the ice will stay there, as I’ve said before. They’re one of my closest friends in this league and I don’t think I’d be where I am without some friendly competition. We encourage each other to be better than we were the day before.”

This series should be a nail biter as both teams are fairly well-matched, although London had the edge in the regular season. VHL fans are eager to see how London and Davos stack up, with their young goalies being one of the main focal points!

Spoiler

Word count: 522