Landon Wolanin on Diversity and Inclusion in the VHL

“Behind every great thing in this world are people of all shapes and sizes, genders and sexualities, and cultural identities. I can’t stress how important it has been to me, as a VHL player to get to play with and become friends with all kinds of people here, and with so many diverse experiences for me to learn about. I’m proud of how far the league has come when it comes to diversity and inclusion, because bringing in more people that aren’t like you for one reason or another is the only way to grow as a league, and as individuals. Hockey notably has many issues within it, institutionally from the moment they step on the ice as a child to post-retirement, and the core of that issue is the lack of diversity of thought and membership in the sport. Hockey is for everyone, and when you look around the VHL, you may assume everyone is just like you, but if you stop to get to know them, you’ll find that just about the only thing that we all have in common is the love of the league. So, take a few minutes this month, and get to know the people around you. Read some league content, talk to some new people, and embrace them for who they are. Be proud of who you are and how you’ve grown as a person, and eagerly take the opportunities to learn more about people who aren’t like you."

Happy Pride Month everyone! We are all proud of who you’ve become, and we’re so excited to see where you go next.

- Landon Wolanin (he/him)