All of the Things

jacobcarson877

Landon Wolanin only has three more chances to prove that he is worthy of being remembered as a great of his era. Realistically he needs to nail all three of these seasons to be in a Hall of Fame conversation. Maybe that opportunity is already gone. This will be the last season of having Daniel Janser to lean on to finish plays and set him up.

There is an air of transition in Calgary these days, with the looming clock ticking down our time to shine before the core gets dismantled. That is simply how things are, but I can’t imagine a better team experience, nor a better community to spend all this time with. Obviously, we are still months away from the whole thing ending, but losing teammates like Lindbergh and soon Janser are a huge blow. We also lost our wonderful AGM to the Miami Marauders, where he finally gets the opportunity to lead a squad for himself. It is bittersweet, but I do love that it gives me a reason to pay just a little more attention to the VHLM.

Speaking of which, it has been great to keep in contact with the Marlins and watch the amazing squad they had this season. There is tons of great talent, first-gen and veteran, coming into the next couple of drafts, and I couldn’t be more excited to see where they end up. I’m also excited to see who the Marlins bring in next season and getting to know another set of great members. Hopefully this time around they can avoid the Simon shenanigans and get some more playoff success.

Onto playoff success, it was awesome having deep runs with both teams I was a part of this season, of course capping it off with a miraculous fairy tale championship win in London. My goal was never to win this season, which is funny to think about now. I just wanted to assemble a group of people that I thought would get along well and have a good time. I leaned a lot on my understanding of how we assembled our group in Calgary and tried to apply similar principles in London. I am always a firm believer that good vibes bring good success, and obviously the vibes were good enough to appease our sick and twisted overlord Simon. It seems unlikely that we bring the same level of success next season, with Nalwa retiring and no immediate replacement. There has been a lot of talk but nothing that seems quite favourable for the squad. I also leave for the next week, so I will be at a slight disadvantage when it comes to FA talks and signings. But alas, that is how life goes and I’m sure somewhere down the line there will be a defender that is available and a good fit for the team.

The last thing I want to touch on is how awesome it has been to be here in this community and commit to earning as well as I have. I’m sure by the time this is approved I’ll have already done the feat, but I will be overtaking Alex Johnston for 25th all-time in TPE and likely further up that list in the coming weeks. I know the whole 9 season career thing really messes with the TPE leaders, but still a cool feat, and I have my eyes on 1st eventually.