Making the Most of Your Chances

Ozzy Batty

The hardest part of joining a new team is trying to find your place and to make sure that what you are doing is actually helping the team. I mean, I guess there are some who are more concerned with their own stats and production instead of the team overall, but that is not me. I will not lie, I look at my stats as well. But in the end, having great stats on a bad team, I do not want that. I would rather have mediocre stats on a great team. 

So how do I make sure that I am doing my best to help the team? At this point in my career I hate to say I do not have an answer to that question. It seems like such a simple one, but the answer eludes me. Yes, I understand working as hard as I can, I get training as much as I can. But training to do what better? Skate? Pass? Move the puck around the opponent? Watching film of the opposition? Watching film of the greats? I mean, the list is endless of things that I can spend my time on. What yields the best results? What can I do that will actually benefit the team?

Luckily my coaches help. The General Manager offers suggestions. So there is quite a bit of support. But that question remains in the back of my mind, am I really helping the team? Yes, I have scored some goals and gotten some assists, but has that been enough? 

Word Count: 258

Claimed Week: 2 Jul 2023