Interview with a Teno

aimkin

With S89 coming to a close later this week, we thought we would check in with London’s goalie Jesse Teno. They have had a tough year, unable to get much of a winning streak going at any point though their stats still tell a decent story.

Jesse, the math isn’t mathing in your favor for a record season. The last two 2 you had 34 wins but right now, you’re sitting at 30 with only 9 games left in the season. What do you think your odds are of breaking that win record?

Honestly, not so sure. Needing 4 wins in 9 games sometimes sounds easy but we’ve been having a rough go at it. We’re only facing Moscow, Prague, and Toronto the rest of the season. I think we can get those 3 Toronto games but the others currently have a winning record over us this season. I think it’s going to be a tough battle.

Being the defending champions must lend some confidence to your team going into the playoffs despite the current league ranking. Do you think you guys have a shot at making it again?

I hope so. It was tough getting there the first time but I think if we can just create more opportunities and get more shots, then sure, I don’t see why we wouldn’t have a chance at going all the way again.

Right now, London is situated to be in the wildcard round again. Does this help or hurt team morale?

I think given what we accomplished last season, it’s fair to say that we’re not taking the position lightly. Not only are we still at risk of getting kicked out of the playoffs, but I think it creates a bit of buzz since we know we’ve been here before and made it to the cup.

Despite the current win-loss record, your stats are pretty up there with the higher ranked teams. 3rd in save percentage, 4th in goals against average, and 2nd in shutouts. Seems pretty impressive, don’t you think?

I think it shows that I work hard no matter the circumstances and that despite us struggling a bit this season as a team, the individuals can still do incredible things. 

Despite London being out-shot most games, you don’t show up on the top 10 goals or shots against. Why do you think that is?

I think it’s in thanks to my team. We’ve been really good defensively and I think those two stats prove that. My team has really been tight in keeping the offense busy and away from the puck. 

Your GM Jacob played Goat Bot all at the front end of the season. Do you think it’s an advantage to have you play the whole back end?

I think so, yea. This is when the games really truly matter and every point is a make it or break it moment. I think letting me finish out the regular season works in our favor because I’m almost always going to have more experience than the backups that other teams save for the last week of games. Hopefully it continues to work in our favor.

526 words for week ending 7/23/2023