CGY's disappointment

Daniel Janser

Callum was not amused, not at all. Despite putting up a fight, the Hounds were not able to pass into the next round. He has to learn that elation and disappointment go hand in hand in the playoffs. Doesn't mean that he has to like defeats. He decides that he needs something to cool down. He looks at his gramps' yard and figures that the lawn could use a trim. And that lilac over there looks like it needs some pruning. And when has his grandpa last chopped wood? It is there in the shed, but in the shape of foot long logs. With his work cut out for him he starts mowing the lawn. Of course Kurt is an old school tipe of guy and the simple push mower is as sharp as a particular dull spoon.

'Where was this bleeding whetstone again? Probably in the workshop... geez, this could use some tidying up. How is one supposed to find anything in this mess. At the end of the rent the old man owes me money for getting this place in shape again.'

After he found the whetstone, sharpened the lawn mower and cut the grass, Callum allows himself a stubby. When he gets the pruning scissors, he starts cussing.

'Of course this blinking scissors are rusty as fuck, which is to be expected when gramps let them lie on the ground after the last trim. So where did I put the sandpaper again? The oil can is just over there. Fucking place is a shambles.'

Despite his constant swearing, he enjoys himself oddly enough. Even to the point that he whistles 'Scotland the Brave' while getting the scissors into working condition again. Meanwhile he goes shirtless, as the tidying up has stirred up so much dirt and cob webbs that he could not be bothered to get a new shirt, besides he got hot during the tasks and feels much comfortable that way. Once he is back in the yard pruning the bushes he sees his neighbour along with her friends who all of a sudden seem to have taken a keen interest in garden work and peek over the fence. He greets them and puts his focus back on the task at hand. After half an hour, he sets to chop wood, as the ready stash has been perilously depleted.

'Gramps clearly spends to much time at sea. He would freeze his wrinkly ass off, if I did not chop wood for him.'

Surprisingly, the axe is found within seconds and it has a very keen edge.

'Huh, surprised that I did not have to buy one first', Cal thinks before laying in. He puts all the frustration of losing out to Mexico into each blow, and he does not stop until the stash is reasonably stacked again.

'So, that is it for today. Get a shower, a stubby and some shut-eye and tomorrow I paint this disgrace of a fence. I wonder where the paint and brush is at?'