Made it Thru My 1st VHLE Season

Ozzy Batty

What a season!?!?!

I mean, I went from being a nobody on a team that had a good history to someone who was able to help my teammates find the net. I know that I have more work to do, but I feel like this was a good start for sure. I want to continue to work on being the best teammate that I can be for sure.

So what have I learned? 

First of, ratings matter. I mean, we all know they have an impact, but I learned how some impact more than others. I learned what kinds of ratings to concentrate on if I want to be a good passer or a good scorer. I have realized that I need to chose one or the other, I cannot be both. But I do not really want to commit to one or the other, I mean, who knows what my team will need me to be? I guess that is kind of a coward's way out, but what good am I if I continue to invest in the type of player that we have an abundance of? So while this sounds like an easy decision, it is not. I know I will have to make this decision soon, but can you blame me for trying to put it off as long as I can?

Secondly, there is more to being a GM than just getting the players on the ice. I am blessed to have a great GM to work with in @Ricer13 who takes time to answer my questions and encourages me to take more chances with getting involved in the league. He offered to let me set the lines (which I missed the deadline to do) so maybe it is a good thing that I am not doing more than asking questions at this point, LOL. I have watched how he has approached the off-season, making decisions for the future of the team while demonstrating his concern for the experience of the players who are not only on Calgary, but anyone who is connected with the organization. One thing I try to do is to try to give anyone on a team that I am involved with is given the best experience that I can give them. So he and I have the same approach to team management. I know I have learned quite a bit, but I know there is much more that I need to learn.

Thirdly, managing TPE/TPA is tougher than it appears on the surface. It would make sense that the objective is to earn as much as I can as fast as I can. But that can backfire by forcing me to get promoted before my player is actually ready to. These decisions need to made with planning and forethought. Thank goodness for the veterans in the league who are so willing to offer advice and input on these types of things.

Lastly, what about this money????? Damn, I have $2.5 MILLION saved!!! I didnt even realize I had it until I decided to be nosey and look around some more on the website. How cool is that????

Oh, one last thing I have learned.....make sure to check the forums when you have applied for a job. I seriously doubt that it is a good look to not respond in a timely manner to interview requests. From my experience, a late response (especially when the response is sent AFTER the selections have been announced) GREATLY reduces your chance of getting selected! I mean, reduces the chances to 00000%, and that may be generous!

Yes, I have learned quite a bit, but I know I have so much more to learn. 

Word Count: 618

Week Claimed: 6 Aug 2023