Another Step in My VHL Journey

Ozzy Batty

The toughest part of any journey is the first step....or say they say. But is it supposed to be that tough when you have already been on the journey to take a step along a different path? Not a different route, just another branch of the journey. But it is going to be something different for sure.

I never joined the VHL to just become a GM, but once I got settled in, I figured it would be a way I could give back to the community. I know there are certain destinations that I want to get to along this journey. I wanted to become an Assistant General Manager first. I am so thrilled to be getting for my first full off-season as the Assistant General Manager of the Calgary Wranglers. I am so fortunate to be working with a General Manager who answers my questions and provides guidance, even on things I never had thought to ask. One of the things he has suggested is that I apply for General Manager positions, that I do not know what would happen. So I followed his advice and applied for General Manager positions for the World Junior Championship tournament, for the current VHLM vacancies as well as the huge reach, the current openings in the VHL. And then I waited.....

I started to think that I was going to be passed over for the openings, I mean, I am still relatively new, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Then finally, I got the notification I was waiting for! Yes! I have been selected as the General Manager of Team Europe!! The first thing I did was tell @Ricer13 and told him I was going to be asking him alot of questions. He replied that he was more than willing to help me out.

So yea, there is a step in a new direction, but still moving towards my final goal of one day being a VHL General Manager. But for now, I am going to take advantage of this opportunity to learn as much as I can...and who knows what will happen next?

Word Count: 353

Week Claimed: 6 Aug 2023