Better Be Careful What You Wish For...

Ozzy Batty

Yes, you better be careful what you wish for....you just might get it! Dont get me wrong, I am not complaining or anything negative because I really love what I am doing. But boy did I have to hit the ground running!

Okay, I probably should explain. Recently I had lamented that I had been applying for General Manager positions and that I had not heard anything back about them. As I shared last week, I was appointed the General Manager of Team Europe for the World Junior Championship. So I had to quickly select the players for the team and figure out what lines I wanted to use. I was then given a crash-course on how to determine what strategies to use and to make sure the team was given the correct instructions. I must have done something right, we are currently 6-1 with a +21 goal difference. I think it is more that the team is so strong it makes up for any deficiencies I have as a General Manager. But I am not going to complain, they are doing a great job.

As soon as I started to feel like I had that all under control, I get another phone call. I had been selected as the next General Manager of the Mexico City Kings of the VHLM. The previous front office staff have moved on to bigger and better things (we wish them well in their new endeavors!) but still poke their heads in the office door to offer advice when they can, which is greatly appreciated. So I look around, and most of the team have either moved on or become free agents. Oh, by the way, the draft is in less than a week, so I need to get ready for that!

As I continue to monitor the Team Europe performance I started to prepare for the upcoming draft. I am still learning about the value of various draft picks as I respond to incoming trade requests. I have spent hours reaching out to the draft class to gauge their interest in becoming a King. Most have said yes, absolutely. Some have seemed indifferent, while I have gotten the rare rejection. I appreciate the honesty. I know the M is an entry league and my goal is to give everyone on my team the best experience I can. If they want to spend their time in the league with another team, I wish them the best! But yea, trying to filter and respond to the messages, that takes time as well.

So while I was waiting to see what would happen next, wondering where my career would go, I had 2 doors open at almost the same time. I have been busy for sure!

I want to thank those who have offered advice, answered my questions, and tried to make this process as painless as possible. At the end of the day, all leagues are made up of people. Those people determine if the league is a place the welcomes new people or if it operates as a closed community where positions of responsibility are passed around like a hot potato. Luckily, this is a league that encourages new people to get involved. It is a place that supports people as they learn the ins and outs of how things operate. It is a place that allows everyone to make the story theirs and can enjoy the league in whatever way they want to. That is something pretty special.

So now the doors have opened, and it is up to me to make the most of it.

Word Count: 603

Week Claimed: 13 Aug 2023