Team Asia - Raimo Tuominen

SlapshotWrangler

WHEREVER THE WJC IS TAKING PLACE - Alongside the JST, the World Junior Championship is a chance for young VHLM players and potential VHL prospects to showcase their play. More importantly, however, it is a chance to represent their country or region and win it all for them. Among the VHL hopefuls, Raimo was hoping he would get the call that he would play in the tournament.

“I mean, some people might see it as a worthless tournament but I can speak for myself and my countrymen when I say we take every WJC, Hlinka-Gretzky, and other hockey tournament very seriously. To pull on a jersey and represent more than just a franchise is a huge honour. I hope that I will be selected to participate, although I know that is not a guarantee.”

Raimo Tuominen was practicing with the Brigade in anticipation for the JST playoffs when he got the call. The GM he was speaking to had congratulated him. However, Raimo was surprised as they continued to converse.

“I remember that I had said that I was super excited to join Team Western Europe for the competition. Then our GM corrected me and said I wasn’t playing for Team Western Europe. I then asked, ‘Team Nordic?’ because I remembered them having a team. He told me that we were Team Asia. I was confused but after he explained the rules allowing them to add some of us so that they could field a team, I understood. Regardless, I am nothing less than ecstatic to represent Asia.”