Hello Europe - Raimo Tuominen

SlapshotWrangler

After leaving Finland to pursue the Victory Hockey League path, Raimo Tuominen has now officially graduated from his time in the VHLM. Coming off a season with the Houston Bulls, Raimo is looking to take the next step to elevate his game in the European stage. He already has experienced European hockey in Finland but now he will get to witness it all over the continent. Unsurprisingly, Raimo is excited in many aspects.

“Always adjusting. It’s probably been the best phrase to summarize every day for me. This is a chance for me to become a better player and help my team win. Obviously, the result of our [The Bulls’] playoffs have made me even more hungry but I still want to be the type of player that helps the team succeed. Every player is seeking to do that in their way; I’m trying to find the best way that suits me and the team’s needs.”

Of course, many other young players are joining the VHLE. Raimo is not too concerned about standing out, however. Now that he’s in the league, all he is focused on is making sure he’s playing at his best.

“We can talk about other players and we can try to become better than other players in the league. Doesn’t work for me, though. If I’m trying to be better than one guy, I’m not working on being my best. Besides, we all understand that we’re not here to compete for individual accolades. I am committed to compete for the team.”

Raimo had a solid season for a stacked Bulls team. Playing in the second line for most of the season, Raimo had a respectable 27 goals and 33 assists for 60 points in 72 games. Not the most offensively impressive stats. After deciding to be more active physically in the play later in the season, Raimo was able to reach 124 hits. It was an interesting change to see for a young winger who had typically been able to get away with outspeeding the opponent in Finland. In the VHLM, his game took a 180 and he was focused on being solid on both ends of the ice.

“I mean, there was a good while where I wasn’t scoring and I realized that I need to find more ways to contribute if I’m not getting the puck in the net. I also saw that I needed to get more physical to match the physicality here. It worked out for the best.”

This season, Raimo is still trying to find his identity as a player as well as gain some consistency. Consistency is the key word for him.

“Consistency, or rather, a lack of it has been a problem for me. I intend on changing that this season. I want to contribute to every game.”

It should also be noted that Tuominen will be making the transition from winger to centerman.

(485 words)