User's First: [Theory] Taking Stock of Where I Want Olumide To Go

Theory

Hello, VHL community.

My Name is Theory. At least, that is what my username says. I am a fan of sports, and while I do have a little more experience with the sports I played in real life - those being tennis and Basketball (with a splash of football) - I am always interested in the coaching side of things. I get curious about every sport’s best coaching strategies and tend to formulate opinions and understandings based on accumulated knowledge. That has helped me in various other sim leagues, like the sister league of the VHL, the SBA, and the EFL. 

I mention this because I want to know everything that goes on the ice in the VHL - and this will more than likely lead me into the annals of VHL history as well as a polishing of important stats in Hockey overall. I have already found a home in Halifax, and while I do my proper DD on the history of my team, I have already taken to the ice in a couple of games - even getting to score the first goal of my career as a VHL member. It is all an exciting experience and all that, but I do have another reason as to why I am writing this introductory article:

I want to be the best, if not one of the best, to do it on this platform. While that may have only gotten me two titles in the SBA thus far (and 2 in the EFL), the motive behind my work there is not the same as over here. I seek to bring dominance to the ice for the 21st because I want to showcase I am not a slouch. We have not had the best outings since my mid-season entry, but with the advent of experimentation, I have found a third thing about myself within sim leagues - I love to experiment with builds. I look at players in the big leagues and see a lot of them lack things like Leadership; when starting, I saw that the stat was stated to benefit minimally. To that, I say: so what? If the stat can influence wins, I will more than likely invest Points into it. Yes, I am ready to invest in stats that actually help the team, but I want to undergo a career-long project of making individuals with high leadership. It may be done/have been done before by people still in the league, but I think if I can be of service to a team, while also helping with poise and leadership qualities, Both I and the team will go farther than with just skill alone. 

I don’t really know how to wrap up my opening diatribe, but I am happy that I scored a goal in my first season - though we then proceeded to give up 7 to Mississauga (a team that I would’ve signed to had they been closer to home). In the upcoming games I play, I can only hope for meager improvements as I aim to get better at playing on the ice and helping Halifax turn things around. Here’s to my next one, I hope y’all stick around as I get better at this.

-Theory

541 words for 8/27, will get better with time

When I started my first player, I wanted him to be a leader on the ice (spoiler alert he became that later), and invested points in Leadership (of course before consulting anyone or reading the build recommendations). So I was a little taken aback when I was told that leadership has no to little influence in the sim-engine. I wish you best of luck for your journey and do not be afraid to experiment with builds, there have been heavy hitters for example in this league who were very successful, despite having a lot of PIM to their name. Groovy Dood, Druss Deathwalker, Duncan Idaho and Vinny Detroit come to my mind spontaneously.

Keep us updated on your findings/experience.

Cheers

EDIT: Some of the records in the HOF will be pretty much untouchable (see HOFer Scotty Campbell), especially since the change to the hybrid attribute system in place as of S83, so do not be disappointed if you will not be able to break them (but never stop trying to do so).

Edited by Daniel Janser

If you want to upgrade your knowledge on the ice then I would suggest reading the manual of our sim engine. 

https://sths.simont.info/ManualV3_En.php

It covers everything. Definitely read section 7, it’ll explain all of your player attributes and what they actually mean and do. 

If you’re also still wondering about TPE earning and all the extra ways to get it, feel free to DM me I’d be more than happy to walk through it all with you.

Edited by AJW