Wann Kerr embracing the power forward role

VattghernCZ

When you look at a hockey forward who's 5'9'' and weighs in at just below 190lbs, power forward is probably not the first player archetype to come to your mind. Such players tend to rely on their skating, puck skills and hockey sense to succeed. This can not be said about Wann Kerr, an undersized Czech center for whom physicality became one of the biggest keys to success. It's not a coincidence that his first ever 40-goal season was also the first season he recorded over 240 hits.

Kerr is not your prototypical undersized player. Despite his smaller frame, he's arguably among the strongest players in the league. „Of course we knew (Kerr) is a strong guy,“ said Ronnie Read, London United conditioning coach. „But I don't think anyone expected him to come into the training camp and excel in every strength exercise. He's one of the strongest athletes I've ever worked with.

And we can see Kerr using his strength in every shift. Whether it's battling in along the boards, in the corners or in the crease, or laying a hit on an opponent. And once again, he's well on track to record over 200 hits and over 40 goals.

I mean, what else do you want me to do,“ said Kerr in an interview. „I play with Lenny (Triller), a world class distributor, and Molly (the Cat) who's never scored less than 30 goals in a season. No one wants my clumsy a** to get in their way. The best thing I can do is to roll my sleeves up and get dirty getting them the puck and creating space for them.

And this formula seems to work, as all Kerr, Triller and Molly the Cat are on track for the best individual season of their career.

Edited by VattghernCZ