Klajums looks forward to 1st Start, VHLM

RMiner57

20130914__20130915_CC3_SP15HKNVARLY~p1.j

Bern, Switzerland --- Klajums stacks the pads after a shot in practice

In Bern is where Ivars Klajums, the waiver acquisition of the Bern Royals is making himself home, "It's been different than Victoria, that's for sure. I've just been touring the city. I think I could get used to this." He has so far hit the ice once so far in Bern in an optional skate on Sunday, trying to get his feet under him. Describing his experience with a smile, he noted the time difference and a little case of jet-lag. "For sure, I didn't have a whole lot of sleep. Didn't help I had a little too many appetizers a couple hours before the morning practice, but it was all good. I spent some time trying to test myself against higher skilled players, but for the most part I tried to keep it loose and joke with my teammates. I like 'em. They're a good bunch and the first thing I noticed is how tight they are a locker room. I think they've bonded throughout the season."

He's moved into a situation in Bern where the goaltending hasn't been spectacular. "I won't go into a whole lot of depth but I've been told I can expect some starts sometime soon. It's good to get into the swing of things quick, I'm looking forward to it." One thing's for sure, the ripe rookie will have a bumpy road, but he's got a bright future ahead of him.