Ondrej Vencko's scouting report

Hasek 2.0?

Houston Bulls‘ goalie Ondrej Vencko is talked about a lot amongst both fans and scouts. Before the start of the season, he has been observed in the development camp, as well as outside of his hockey duties. The conclusions between scouts tend to vary quite a bit, let’s look at the main points the scouts made:

1.      He clearly has passion for the game. He is very good at communicating with teammates on the ice and has a great potential for starting turnovers. However, his passion can get him carried away sometimes, as when he lets a few goals into net, he gets angry and loses focus. Thus, he might consider trying to control his passion, even though when he makes big saves, his unleashed behaviour is a joy to watch.

2.      He is very good with poke-checking. His stick handling is one of the best this season’s prospect can offer. During his training at the development camp, he also made a tremendous save with it. Truly spectacular.

3.      However good the stick play is, though, his main weakness is in his glove hand. Ondrej catches with his left hand (because he is more comfortable with playing stick on the left side, even though he is a right handed person), which tends to show when he has to make a glove save. We have seen quite a bit of shots dangle out into the net, or missed by Ondrej completely. I think this will take some more time to perfect but he still catches most of the shots, which is a good sign for the young goalie.

4.      Coming from the Czech Republic, Ondrej clearly knows what the name Hasek means. And he showed us that he knows it. He presented some pretty impressive acrobacy while making some of the saves. Given the faces of his teammates, he clearly surprised them. It is no doubt that this can boost the appreciaton of Bulls’s players, management and fanbase. It is also, however, rather tricky to control and not to get too carried away, which ties to point no. 1.

5.      Off the ice, Ondrej (or Ondra, how everyone calls him), is a really pleasant person, who lifts up the team spirit and contributes to pleasant team chemistry. That is, if he has a good day. If he makes mistakes during the match, he tends to get downed and doesn’t want to communicate, which I could experience myself after the second day of the camp.
Most of the time, though, he is a real joy to talk and to be around to. This can easily lift up Houston’s morale and dedication to win, as the support coming from this guy on ice is spectacular.

Overall, Houston Bulls GM got his team a lot of great and talented prospects. I am sure the league and fans alike will watch their career with a great interest. I would especially keep an eye out on this young acrobat tending the goal.

For VHLM News,

Ben Icio del Torro

505 words for week ending 1/14/2024

Great article from VHL Prospect guru, Ben Icio del Torro! 😂

Looking forward to seeing Vencko tend the goal for the Bulls this season, no doubt he’s got show stopping potential.  

2 hours ago, LucyXpher said:

Great article from VHL Prospect guru, Ben Icio del Torro! 😂

Looking forward to seeing Vencko tend the goal for the Bulls this season, no doubt he’s got show stopping potential.  

Ben is trying his hardest! :D

I hope he will turn into a fan favourite!