London United Press Conference Week of Jan 28 2024

Welcome to next press conference. Every now and again I go a little rogue with these and come up with some theme.  Sometime it makes things funny, sometimes it is painful. (I promise no literary requirements).

So this week I thought I would pick the topic of AI use in point tasks.

1) What is your opinion on the use of AI in generating written point tasks (media Spots, articles)?

2) What is your opinion on the use of AI in generating graphic point tasks?

3) In your opinion is there a level of AI use that is acceptable?

4) The punishments that have been handed out so far to people caught using AI, were they fair, too soft, too harsh?

5) Have you ever used AI tools, (Inside of VHL or outside), tell us about your experience with the tools?

6) Do you think AI will evolve to the point that people will no longer be involved in areas like book writing, journalism, creating paintings. Discuss your opinion?

4 hours ago, JCarson said:

Welcome to next press conference. Every now and again I go a little rogue with these and come up with some theme.  Sometime it makes things funny, sometimes it is painful. (I promise no literary requirements).

1) What is your opinion on the use of AI in generating written point tasks (media Spots, articles)?

4) The punishments that have been handed out so far to people caught using AI, were they fair, too soft, too harsh?

5) Have you ever used AI tools, (Inside of VHL or outside), tell us about your experience with the tools?

6) Do you think AI will evolve to the point that people will no longer be involved in areas like book writing, journalism, creating paintings. Discuss your opinion?

1. I think it would be okay to use chatGPT or something as a research tool to summarize something for you, which then you could use as a source of information to write your own tasks, but not presenting the AI text itself as a PT.

2. As long as it's not something that's claimed as graphics, I'm 100% okay with it - like a graphic thingy for an article or a media spot, or graphics for press conference, or for a player sig that's not claimed, or for web design etc.

3. Well, I've pretty much answered that. As long as the result itself isn't claimed, it's fair game to use anywhere in my opinion.

4. I've only seen one, not sure which member it was or what the punishment was, but I remember my reaction was hm, that's fair.

5. Not really, I've only done some stuff with image geerators just for the laughs to share in the LR, like I remember I did a pack of cartoon wolves playing hockey. Overall, I really like AI tools and use them quite a bit for personal use.

6. This feels too serious for a sim game haha. I definitely think there is potential for it, and I wouldn't mind with the condition that everything AI generated has to be labeled as such. In art, it's kinda fascinating to watch AI do art, but it should specifically be called "AI art" - or shorten it as airt? With journalism, I'd prefer it to human based journalism as long as it's just raw data and facts fed to the algorithm, which then simplifies it for a lay person, without any agendas. But I'm somewhat sure that wouldn't mostly be the case.

On 1/21/2024 at 8:58 AM, JCarson said:

1. I think to ask AI to write a whole article is lazy and wrong. But I think using it to pull sources or to manufacture a basis for an article is fine.

2. I think with AI and graphics, the person should be doing 90-99% of the work and then if there is something they want to do to the piece that either would require more skill/knowledge or a paid program, then I think you could ask AI to do one or two small tweaks or filters to finish it off.

3. Like I said above, I think minimal. Research and devils advocate for writing, and just a finishing touch on graphics.

4. I don't know the exact punishments handed out but I think if you're going to use AI to do all of your work, then yea, a TPE ban for however many weeks seems fair.

5. I played with ChatGPT once just to see what it could create regarding hockey and I found it hard to get what I would have actually needed if I had wanted to use AI to write for me.

6. I hope not. AI can only create based off of what it pulls from existing material. If AI were to start writing whole books, it would end up spitting out the same old stories that we've been reading. It would completely take away true creativity. Besides, AI isn't perfect and probably never will be. I hope artists and writers start to use that program to contaminate their works so that AI can't pull from them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 5:58 AM, JCarson said:

Crashing your PC

1. I really think that writing an original post is really not that hard and using AI is a waste of time.  The PT are not complicated (graphics excluded).

2. So I will admit I am clueless to graphics in general.  Tried making one on Pixlr and it was so shitty I quit and never went back.  Not familiar with AI and graphics but I am sure it can be cheated easily.

3. Tough question.  In real life when composing a letter or something you want to word smith well, possibly.  I usually knock out my media spot and VHL article on Saturdays and it takes me maybe 30 minutes.  here in VHL I don't think using it is necessary or relevant.  

4. I am not familiar with punishments but I am sure they were fair.  

5. No, I have never had the need to.  My wife (a doctor) uses it for charting notes between patients and says its helpful there but I have no need for it yet.

6. It scares me a bit.  I am a huge reader and think that AI could really cost writers their employment in the future. Technology comes with a price like we've seen with social media to the point now phones control most peoples lives.  AI could contribute to that in negative ways.  Time will tell