Houston Gossiper: Ondrej Vencko Interview

Mutti

Hi and welcome to another edition of Houston Gossiper. Today, we have a special one for you, readers! Even though the play-offs are in a full swing, Houston’s goaltender Ondrej Vencko made some time for an interview with me. Without further ado, let’s ask our young goalie what’s what!

Hey there, Ondra, thank you for making some time for me. The play-offs are here, how are you feeling? It is, after all, at least a bit stressful for a rookie to compete on this level, isn’t it?

“Hey, thanks for having me. Yeah, the blood boils and nails are bitten, right? *laughs* You know, it was kinda rough getting to know the league and how things are in the States in the beginning. But now, I am used to it and I am focusing on securing the net for my team, even though it is hard sometimes.”

Funny that you mention that. You are currently facing San Diego Marlins and you built up a 3-1 series lead, which showed you are a fairly competitive team. You also recorded a shutout in game 4. But last night, things didn’t exactly go your way. Do you think it was the fact of home ice which boosted San Diego? How do you feel about the last game?

“I am gonna be honest, last game wasn’t my jam at all. I don’t think the team is to blame here, they were great and the net minding is my responsibility, after all. I’d say the game was pretty tied but then in the third, they crushed us. But next game, we’ll be playing home again, which will turn the tides again, I believe. Guys in our team play phenomenally, I am looking forward to game 6. It is my number, after all. *laughs*

I am sure it will be awesome. Game 6 is surely going to be a big one. You have also been chosen to one of the teams competing in the Junior Showcase Tournament. How do you feel about it?

“It is something different, I will try to change my game if necessary, but the basics will remain. I am excited, though! I love the fact that the league has so many things to offer for players to both develop and to show their qualities. I will, sadly, face against some of my current teammates but.. That’s just how things are sometimes. But I know how to save their shots. *laughs* It will be awesome, I am sure!

Last question, Ondra: What does a Czech goalie do to clear his head both after and before games? Especially the play-offs games?

“To be honest.. Nothing extraordinarily special. I have a special place for music in my heart, so I both play and listen to it. I do like a bit of alcohol from time to time but right now, that’s a big no no in my books. I need to be focused. I’ll keep the great hangover for after we win something big! *laughs*

Ondra, thank you for coming, it was a pleasure doing interview with you.

“Thanks for having me. Take care!”

Well, there you have it, folks. Let’s wish our beloved Houston team good luck in Game 6 tonight, so that we can see more of their entertaining hockey in the future!

For Houston Gossiper,

Ben Icio del Torro

557 words for week ending 2/25/2024