Feeling Bull-ish

:hou:

Houston -- As of this writing, there are three series complete in the VHLM's first round of the playoffs. But only one of them so far has produced an upset: the fifth seeded Houston Bulls took down the fourth seeded San Diego Marlins in six games.

Both teams had their strengths entering the series. San Diego's first line features what may be two of the top three picks in the VHL Draft in Del Rocco and Devote, while Houston's overall depth includes more than a full lines' worth of players that have capped out their VHLM training time. But in the end, says Bulls center Antonia Bucatini, Houston was able to pull out the victory for one reason: constant growth.

"This was a young team to start the season. It's no surprise the Bulls fell behind a bit early and needed to play catch-up," Bucatini said. "But all of those players just getting their feet wet at the beginning of the season? They're now fully formed, peaking at the right time. This isn't your typical five seed; I really think we should be among the title favorites."

In the next round, the Bulls will have the opportunity to prove that very thing. The Philadelphia Reapers entered the VHLM Playoffs as the number one seed, and even if it took them a bit longer to get past Saskatoon in the first round than many anticipated, they remain an inordinately tough foe. It will take more offensive cohesion - and a greater commitment to stay out of the penalty box - for Houston to advance another round.

Still, Bucatini feels they have the team to do it. And as evidence, she draws on her experience last season - from this very same Philadelphia team, which went from a five seed to the finals. "Sometimes it all comes together. I saw it last year, and I really think I'm seeing it again," she said. "I know better than to try and predict anything with the randomness of the playoffs sometimes. But do I think we have a legit shot? Yeah, I think we're there. I really do."

4 hours ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

It will take more offensive cohesion - and a greater commitment to stay out of the penalty box - for Houston to advance another round.

Great article! Can't wait to see what we do in round 2, the Reapers will be a fun test!  As for staying out of the box, I swear, I'm trying my best!  We've just been a goon squad all season lol

Edited by LucyXpher