Prospect Scouting Report: Andrew Skilton

Today I had a chance to sit down with a brand new face in Andrew Skilton. Andrew is new to the VHLM and is looking to make an impact right away. Even as he walked into the room and sat across from me, his presence and poise were immediately displayed. 

Let’s first list out the facts before diving into our subjective thoughts on his skill and personality: 

1) Standing at 6’6”, his mere presence in both a locker room and on the ice is towering.

2) Being a lean 235 lbs. means he’s solid without sacrificing grace on his feet.

3) Coming over to greet me and shake my hand before beginning instantly displays his demeanour to whoever he is working with. 

Now onto skills. What does Andrew bring to the table, other than size, that sets him apart from the others in his draft class?

Defense-first mentality - Andrew takes great pride in being a team-first player. Sacrificing individual achievements for the greater good of the team, he does whatever it takes to keep the puck out of his net. Whether that be blocking a shot with his large frame, making a big hit to knock his opponents off the puck to gain possession, or simply standing tall in front of his net and removing anyone not wearing the same colour as himself from his netminder’s line of sight, Andrew is a force to be reckoned with in the defensive zone. Andrew has a deep understanding of his place on any team and will always do his absolute best to uphold the expectations set for him.

Locker room presence - Being on the older side in a young league, Andrew shows a maturity beyond his years. It has been a long road to get to this point and he has learned to never take the opportunities given to him for granted. A leader both on and off the ice, he has been known to take players aside whenever necessary to make sure everyone stays on the same page. The end goal for Andrew is always team success and he knows that the only way to achieve that is to work together and play off everyone’s strengths. I’ve spoken to his former teammates from all stages of his career and the overwhelming consensus is that he is someone you want in your locker room, no matter the outcome. Andrew always seems to be the rock that keeps everyone grounded as they navigate both the positives and the negatives that come with this game. 

Overall, I had an excellent sit down with this young man. In my short time speaking to him, he was diligent in answering my questions with insightful answers. I would be remiss if I didn’t say that any team looking for a big, stay-at-home defenseman who can be there for his friends and teammates no matter the setting, Andrew Skilton is your guy.