To-be-determined-which Gossiper: Ice-cold skaters

Mutti

Hello there, my dear, beautiful and amazing readers!

It is my great pleasure to welcome you to next edition of my ‘Gossiper’ articles. This time, it is a whole new chapter of this hockey book we started in Houston. Today, we’ll take a look at what happens when the final countdown reaches zero in Europe!

First of all, let’s take a look at the town in question. Västerås is really nice and cozy, though a bit too cold for my taste. I mean, my name is Ben Icio but.. I get enough of ice at the rink, I don’t need to freeze my bottom on a daily basis every time I want to go get a couple of Falcons.

But it is safe to say, other than the temperature, the place is gorgeous. And the people are surprisingly warm-hearted, even though their faces may look colder than the local climate. Swedes are, of course, passionate about hockey, that goes without a saying. But what surprised me was that football has a strong support in here as well. I mean football that is played with feet, not the one that is played with arms. Thanks to the weather, however, the football pitches can seem and feel like ice rinks. When it snows, it can get a bit slide-y.

Another interesting thing about Sweden is the way they deal with stress. I visited one sports match and I saw numerous players walk into the dressing room, each with not one but two ladies by their sides. Swedish.. In an oddly specific trio.. Hmm..

Anyway, now it is finally time to get to talk about the team itself. Västerås Iron Eagles, a team that may not have a certain level of punch to its name as other European sports teams. But trust me, they sure as hell can put up not only a show, but also play some proper, stunning hockey. The team is stacked from forwards to goaltenders (if Vencko is sober and manages to catch sth else than a flu, that is), from left to right, through all the lines. And the entrée this team had to begin the season? Absolutely fabulous! Let’s hope they can keep up the great work in future matches. We’ve seen some minor hiccups in the last games but.. That’s nothing that would end the season for them. Plus, the team is still getting used to playing together. So, good luck and fly, Eagles!

And before I end this article, I want to share something interesting with you.

I came across certain jerseys that are really familiar, especially for the Västerås roster..

.litvajs.thumb.jpg.b6f58c38a30737c5976747aed947bf02.jpg

Interesting, right?
This is a jersey of a Czech TELH team, HC Verva Litvínov, to be precise. Funny thing is that, as well as the same color scheme, these jerseys share a logo of Litvínov’s sponsor, ORLEN. The logo is in the shape of an eagle and the name ORLEN, in fact, is inspired by the Czech word ‘orel’ (to pronounce it, read it as if it was written like this: “orehl”), which means, you guessed it (except if you didn’t), eagle!

How cool is that? Eh, it probably isn’t. But still, some coincidences happen and this one was so stupidly hilarious I had to share it with you.

Anyway, that concludes this week’s edition of.. Västerås Gossiper? Damn, I have to think about the name..

-        Ben Icio del Torro; freezing

569 (nice) words capped for week ending 03/24/2024

5 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Actually, Orlen is a Polish Petrol Company (almost having the monopoly for gas stations in Poland). The name is composed from 'Orzel' (Polish for 'Eagle') and 'Energia' (Energy).  

Well would you look at that!
Thanks for providing the additional info!

Or more like.. Clarification! Haha!

Just now, Mutti said:

Well would you look at that!
Thanks for providing the additional info!

Or more like.. Clarification! Haha!

My co-worker's wife works for them, so this is why I know... 

1 hour ago, LucyXpher said:

Those jerseys actually look awesome, plus we might as well get that sponsorship money— it is Europe after all 😅

We definitely be getting sum fans in the Czech Republic, haha.