A Day in the Life: Wladyslaw Mintus

A Day in the Life: Wladyslaw Mintus – Houston Bulls (D)

Elvira Walburg

It’s a Tuesday morning at 9am on a game day and I am knocking on the door of Wladyslaw Mintus’ apartment to see how he spends the day before a game.

EW: Good morning, Wladyslaw. Sorry to barge in this early in the morning, but hey, I’ve brought Donuts! 

WM: Good morning, Elvira, please come on in. It is no trouble at all, I am happy to do it. Donuts?! Thank you (smiling). Do we have any apple cinnamon? Wlad is ok, by the way.

EW: We certainly do, Wlad. Where should I put these down?

WM: In here will be fine [gesturing to the kitchen/dining room]. I figured we could start the grand tour here too.

EW: Excellent, that sounds great. 

WM: This is the kitchen/dining room, obviously, since I just said that. I like to eat as healthy as I can during the season. So I am in here either making Chicken or Fish for dinner during most of the season. In fact, I was just about to make breakfast. Can I interest you in some eggs?

EW: Actually that does sound good, I will take some if you are offering.

WM: Coming right up.

After we eat breakfast Wlad talks about growing up outside of Detroit and his childhood. He is affable and humorous. We finish eating and the tour continues.

WM: Here is the living room, as you can tell by the lack of furniture, I am still getting settled in.

EW: You have the important things, a couch and a TV. I’d say you are all set, just kidding.

WM: Then down through this hall there are some closets, the main bathroom, and the bedroom. Nothing too fancy to look at, but it gets the job done. What time is it?

I let him know that the time is coming up on 11am. 

WM: Since we are done here, it is about time I get ready and head to the rink for the afternoon skate.

We load into Wlad’s car and get going to the rink. It’s about 30 minutes from Wlad’s home.

WM: So on game days, we have an afternoon skate, depending on game time of course. If its an evening game, then it's an afternoon skate. Usually we run through warm ups, and cardio and some passing drills. The goalies get some work in. After the ice, some of the guys will hit the gym a little extra before heading home.I got in a good workout last night, so once the skate is done, I will probably cool down on the bike for 20 minutes and then get out of here.

EW: I am going to let you get on with your game-day after the skate, so I just wanted to thank you for a great morning and a sneak peak into your daily life. If you could real quick, sum up the rest of your day for the readers?

WM: So after the skate I’ll come back home, probably chill out playing some video games, take a quick power nap, grab something to eat and then head off to the rink again about an hour and a half before puck drop. Thank you for the opportunity, I had a fun day today too

EW: Thanks again, Wlad. Have a great game tonight.

WM: Thank you.