Breaking the 4th Wall: Season 93 Reflective

LucyXpher

Posted (edited)

I can’t believe I’m two full seasons into this VHL thing that I started back in January…

When I saw the ad on a YouTube video for the VHL, I didn’t really know what to expect, but the idea of creating a player in a sim league of other real players seemed interesting to me.  I’ve been in fantasy hockey leagues for a while so I figured this could be something fun to try as well.  What I didn’t expect was the community that would come with it and that’s been the best part of it all.  Sure, creating my player and watching her grow through the VHLM and VHLE has been fun and exciting.  I can’t wait to see how things go now that I’ll be moving into the VHL this season.  But what keeps me checking in daily and staying involved are the awesome people around the forum and on the discord who really give life to the whole process and make it bigger than just watching STHS spit out numbers.

Season 93 was my first season as a GM in the VHLM and it’s been an amazing opportunity to interact with players— new and returning.  It’s been super fun chatting with the newer players who are experiencing the VHL for the first time the way I did just one season ago.  I’ve loved being able to share that experience with them and see them grow into the league, carving out an identity for their players through their forum posts and discord interactions.  The returning players I’ve chatted with have also been amazing— some of them with multiple careers behind them have so much to share about the history of the league.  I think it’s so cool that we have nearly 100 seasons of sim hockey history that we can look back at and that there are people around who have been in the league all that time.  It’s kinda mind blowing really!

As a GM, I’m really proud of our team this past season.  We finished 2nd in the M and had a good run to the semi-finals before losing to the eventual Founder’s Cup champions.  Going forward, I’ve definitely learned a lot from this season that I think will help me with building competitive teams in the future.  More importantly, I think I’m much better prepared now to help new players get acclimated to the league.  There has been so much to learn, but it’s been a fun challenge and I’m excited to keep going!

For my player, Season 93 in the VHLE playing for Vasteras was better than I’d expected.  I’d heard some less than positive things about the E before I got there, but my experience was absolutely a good one!  We had a great team and an awesome GM and we made a good run to the finals, eventually losing to Oslo who had our number all season long.  It was fun playing with and against some former teammates from Houston in my first season and I’m glad to see so many of them doing so well.  My only complaint from this past season was my player’s god-awful shooting percentage, but at least I’ve got a muffin sponsorship to show for it!  

Going up to the VHL, I’m trying not to have too many expectations.  I’d like to see our team show signs of life this season and start building towards being a contender after a couple of seasons near the bottom of the league. I’m glad to see @Lemorse7 got the GM position in Riga and I’m sure he’ll do a great job with the team going forward.  He’s already made a few trades that should definitely help us be more competitive this season so it’ll be exciting to see how the season starts.  For my player, my hope is that I have a respectable rookie season in the VHL.  Eventually, I want to be a player that can be counted on in all situations and can be a positive factor towards the team’s success.  Time will tell I guess, but I’m definitely motivated to keep going since it’s been such a fun process so far!

On a personal level, I’m relieved to be done classes until the fall and I’m taking some time off before I start work for the summer.  Unfortunately, a big storm in Houston knocked out the power and wi-fi on Thursday and it’s still down now (Saturday).  So I’m writing this on my phone (which is why I didn’t format this post), trying to ration my battery life and hoping that I don’t need to light candles again tonight. Oh, and I hate cold showers with a passion! That is by far the most miserable part, though I guess things could always be worse.  Hopefully the lights come on soon so I can stop complaining about my first world problems.  Any good book recommendations?

──•~❉᯽❉~•──

LucyXpher

Claim for 05/19/24 (800+ words)

Edited by LucyXpher