Rookie Experience - Forum Content - S93

• Head Moderator

Rookie Experience Report

Forum Content – LW

HC Davos Dynamo

About Being Drafted In The VHL

The entire process was very exciting.  It was unlike the VHLE, where you basically get buried on a team that doesn’t really care about you because they are starting lifers.  Multiple general managers reached out to me, asking me about how my hours practicing were going to be spent, what my career goals were and if their culture mirrored what I was looking for in a franchise.  It was quite refreshing, to be honest.  I personally was not at the actual draft or anywhere near a television; I was at a concert with friends when I got the call from Davos about them taking me sixth overall.  Personally, that was higher than I would have expected, so I am really grateful to be in this position. 

image.jpeg

About Playing for General Manager Alex

The agency I am involved with (frescoelmo) has known Alex for quite a while, so the discussions with regards to contracts and playing time was relatively seamless.  He (Alex) is always looking for an edge to get the roster into a better position, almost to the point where it is detrimental to his well-being.  He has been very up front about anything on his mind thus far, which I can appreciate.  I came in knowing what kind of ice time I was going to get and the opportunities tied to it.  Can’t ask for anything more.  He does right by his players.

About Setting Goals That Are Attainable

This has been a particularly difficult task to get a good grasp on.  I was very productive in the minor leagues (VHLM) with over 100 points in a season.  The VHLE was equally frustrating; I had asked to be traded to a team that allowed me to play more just so I could showcase my talents to VHL managers.  Albeit on a significantly worse roster, I was fortunately able to salvage somewhat of a career in the E (58 points in the same amount of games).  So you know what?  Let’s split the difference.  If I can get around 80 points this season I would be ecstatic, especially playing on the second line.  I am pacing about a point per game currently, so I am just below that goal with about 1/6th of the season over with.  If I can keep my shot percentage above 10%, that would be great as well.  I would love to see some efficiency and better decision-making. 

About Changing The Frescoelmo Agency Perception

I will be the fourth player in this iteration of the ‘elmo agency, and am very excited to see if we can shake the rust off and go win a championship.  There have been successful players here the last 15-20 seasons, but nothing really to show for it in the playoffs.

image.jpeg

About Staying In Europe Long Term

Having moved from Chile to the States, the initial shock of living in another country took some time to get used to.  I was much better prepared when I moved to Cologne and subsequently Bratislava, but there was still quite the adjustment period.  So yes, I am very happy to be staying on this continent with Davos.  Switzerland is quite diverse and my Spanish-speaking will carry a little more weight, definitely more so than Slovakia.

21 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

He (Alex) is always looking for an edge to get the roster into a better position, almost to the point where it is detrimental to his well-being. 

What is sleep…