Bucatini: Most Rookie Points in a Decade?

:dav:

Davos, Switzerland -- Following solid but not amazing runs in the VHLM and VHLE, Davos forward Antonia Bucatini had her expectations low for entering the VHL. She wanted to acclimate as the season went on, particularly with Grigor Ironhide and (since traded) Sadie St. Louis, and if a few points followed, then cool.

But instead, she hit the ground running. Through about 70% of the season, Bucatini leads all rookies in scoring by a large margin - 68 points, 19 more than her next closest competitor. That total includes 47 assists (first among rookies) and 21 goals (one behind D.C.'s Tom Dufour for first there too).

Now, Bucatini has her sights set on some history. In a recent era where goalies have been more dominant and talent has been spread out throughout the league, rookies have failed to make an impact. Since Nils Godlander stormed into the league with an amazing 131 points in Season 82, the top point total for rookies is just 82 - shared by The Board Game Clue on Skates (S83) and Bucatini's linemate Ironhide (S91).

Will she surpass that point total for the most rookie points in 11 seasons? It would take 15 points over 19 games, a pace she has surpassed thus far. And while it's not a goal that Bucatini is specifically aiming towards, she acknowledged that she's heard the chatter about her season.

"It's nice to play so well out of the gate - you never quite know with these things. My goal to start was actually a point per game this season, and I'm almost to that 72 mark," Bucatini revealed. "So if I pass 82 as well, I'll be happy with that, for sure. Maybe hit the 90 mark for the first time for a rookie in a while? I'd have to admit, it'd be pretty sweet."

90 may be tough, though at her current pace Bucatini would end the season with 92. We'll see whether this hot scoring pace continues or if Bucatini cools off as we approach the end of the season.