My thoughts on Playoffs

AJW

Got a trivia question wrong so instead of writing a 2 TPE .com, I feel like writing a 3 TPE media spot this week, maybe even double claim it for next week if it’s long enough.

Intro

I have been following the VHL, VHLE, and VHLM playoffs very closely this post-season since taking over as Fantasy Zone Manager, and it is really cool to see all the ups and downs that have occurred. Usually I don’t care to look at all three playoffs, usually I only pay attention to my team or my player’s team. I’ve had to watch all three leagues in order to keep track of the playoff bracket challenge and so far I am not complaining whatsoever.

VHLM

My Houston Bulls were eliminated to the Mexico City Kings in the 1st round, 4 games to 2. I’m super proud of the Bulls since we started the season not knowing if we’d even be a contender. From there Mexico City was defeated by the VHLM Cup Favourites, the Halifax 21st, in five games. I wasn’t too shocked by this as I knew either Houston or Mexico City would have to see Halifax no matter what, and the results would have probably been close to the same. With their second round victory, Halifax found themselves heading to the Founder’s Cup Finals to meet up with S93 Founder’s Cup Champions, the Saskatoon Wild. 

I hadn’t paid too much attention to the other side of the VHLM bracket since Houston wouldn’t have to face seed 2,3,6, or 7 until the Finals anyways. San Diego beating Miami was a shock to me, Saskatoon finishing up San Diego after defeating Mississauga was not. What is the most shocking to me is how close these current Finals are, especially with Saskatoon holding a 3-2 series lead over Halifax. I fully thought the 21st would run through this entire league, but man has Saskatoon really showed me something different. After securing the 2nd seed by surpassing Mexico City in the regular season standings, Saskatoon really has been on a rampage this post-season. I should have really considered Saskatoon more as a dark horse rolling into these playoffs. They’re one win away from a back-to-back Founder’s Cup.

VHLE

I’ll be honest, this is the 2nd VHLE playoffs I’ve paid attention to, the 1st being in S86 when my player Randy Bobandy won a Renaissance Cup with the Oslo Storm. I’m very glad I have been paying attention to this season’s playoffs because if I hadn’t I would have guaranteed anyone that the powerhouse Cologne Express would be holding up another Cup. The 4 team bracket + 1 sim per day is not a fun combo for me but the drama and intensity actually amplifies when you’re keeping up each day.

1st seed Cologne defeated Vasteras in 5 games which isn’t surprising to me. What did surprise me was the talents of the 3rd seed Bratislava Watchmen defeating 2nd seed Rome Gladiators in six games. The Watchmen won game 6 with a score of 7-2 to really show the league that they are Cup material. Since the start of the finals it has been neck and neck and the series is tied at 2 games a piece. Game 5 tonight will really set the tone for whichever team that wins. Bratislava won game 4 against Cologne 3-1, which was the first game in this series that hasn’t been a 1 goal game. These VHLE finals are going to be very exciting to finish.

VHL

This league has shown me the most spark in a playoffs for a little while now. The Moscow Menace have stormed their way to the European Finals after taking out Warsaw in the wildcard series, and then shutting down 1st seed London United in a good ole fashion sweep. Who would’ve guessed that would happen, literally no one but Simon himself. The Riga Reign are currently winning these Euro Finals against Moscow 3-2, this series has been exciting and Riga has really shown that they are a dominant team even after a long-term GM switch. Riga defeated the 2nd seed Malmo Nighthawks in order to find themselves here, only needing 5 games.

In the North American Conference 1st Seed Toronto respectfully has found themselves in the Continental Cups Finals, waiting for the European Finals to finish in order to find their opponent. Toronto has dominated all season and just recently finished the 2nd seed Seattle Bears’ campaign in five games to win the North American Finals. Before that, Toronto swept the 4th seed Vancouver Wolves in the first round, allowing only 3 goals against and shutting Vancouver out in 3/4 games. Vancouver had a great Wildcard series against the New York Americans, but the Legion this season look far too strong for the Western Hemisphere.

I predict that Moscow or Riga could win the Euro Finals. Both teams have shown dominance and resilience through these playoffs, so it is impossible to say that either team has a guaranteed chance of seeing Toronto in the next round. Toronto seems to be sitting on a throne this season, but so was Halifax in the VHLM, and Cologne in the VHLE. 

Conclusion

All these playoffs don’t tell the same story as each regular season, and that excites me SO MUCH. I have had a blast following all three leagues and I’m pumped to see the final results of each.

I also got a trivia question wrong so I am going to review your fantastic article that was written because you got a trivia question wrong! lol  It has been one of the more difficult things to do in my time in the league, following the other leagues.  AGM'ing for you in Houston kept me connected there but once I moved to the VHL, player and AGM'ing, I lost touch with the M and E though I never had much connection to the E after Geneva was canned and my history lost to the spread sheets of time.  I commend you for keeping up with all 3 and even though some of that may be due to your fantastic work in the Fantasy Zone, it is still more than most, including myself.

People have been more excited it seems about the VHL playoffs this season.  I think it may be that the loudest on Discord are still in and those who are out are still the types of people to pay attention even if they are no longer participating.  It only gets quiet when the loudest don't care lol

Great article, great breakdown of all 3 leagues and a conclusion that is dead on.  There is potential for something unexpected to happen in every league in these playoffs!  9/10!

6 hours ago, AJW said:

I predict that Moscow or Riga could win the Euro Finals. Both teams have shown dominance and resilience through these playoffs, so it is impossible to say that either team has a guaranteed chance of seeing Toronto in the next round.

Nice Moscow 😎

5 hours ago, Thunder said:

I also got a trivia question wrong and I read this just because I was interested!!

I got my trivia question right this week and still read this since it was interesting!!

On 7/16/2024 at 3:42 AM, AJW said:

What did surprise me was the talents of the 3rd seed Bratislava Watchmen defeating 2nd seed Rome Gladiators in six games

We were the second best team most of the season before we decided to choke down the stretch as we played Cologne a ton down the stretch as well. All close/low scoring games as Soju likes putting it to his fellow prospects from Vancouver. 😁

On 7/16/2024 at 3:42 AM, AJW said:

Toronto seems to be sitting on a throne this season, but so was Halifax in the VHLM, and Cologne in the VHLE

Don`t forget about the curses as Halifax was cursed since S74 and Moscow is cursed since about the same time frame when Spartan took over!! 😇

Unaware of any VHLE curses, So it should be Cologne in 7 games if the regular season shows true!