Eagles has amazing first game

Greg_Di

You couldn't have scripted Roger Eagles first game in the VHL any better. The rookie goaltender put on a clinic and showed the VHL world what he is capable of in an incredible 70 shot against game.

Roger stopped 69 out of the 70 shots faced to lead his team to a 4-1 victory over the Vancouver Wolves. Not many rookie goaltenders can say in their first game that they faced over 70 shots and somehow only let in 1.

"I couldn't have predicted a better game, I was pumped up to get my first game in and I was laser focused. The puck that night looked like a beach ball to me" Roger said "I know games like this won't happen often but man was it a rush. Earning the first star of the game in my first ever VHL game was definitely not on my bingo card for my rookie season"

The Wolves put up 27 shots alone in the first period, usually the average amount of shots per game, and were unable to score. They managed to get one through Roger in the second period and failed once again in the third with an onslaught of 26 shots. Vancouver players, fans and coaches were surprised to see that they could not put anything past a rookie goaltender.

"He was great out there, everything we shot at him he just seemed to know where it was going " a Vancouver player said at the end of the game "I just hope he doesn't have this many good games against us, I think we need to watch video on him and just try and see where his weak spots are. We couldn't find anything during the game"

The LA fans were also very impressed with the start and can see why the team was excited that Roger dropped to 3rd

"I think Roger will be a superstar by the end of his career and I hope he still is with us" one LA fan was quoted as saying " I think he will be up there with Art Vandelay and Doug Dimmadome for best LA goalies of all time. Were excited to have him. I honestly can't believed he dropped to us"

Since that game, Roger's stats have evened out and are more in line with what a rookie goalie in this league should be at. He currently sits at a 7-7 record with a .929 save percentage (5th in the league) and a 3.04 Goals against average (8th). 

"There have been a few games where I struggled but its just a learning curve. You can only take so many 50+ shot games before you get a little bit tired but the team has been playing very well " Roger said " We are playing .500 hockey and that was the expectation. Everyone is putting in the work and were starting to build chemistry with each other. We just want to keep the fans excited and show them what we are capable of"