Rookies: Day One

Dabnad

Hello everyone, today is gonna be a fun write. For today, I will be writing about the first day a rookie experiences in the VHLM. Many people here are writing about rookies in the VHL, however, I wanted to highlight what it’s like to be a rookie to the whole system, being a first gen player, in season 1, in the VHLM. For many people, being a rookie in the VHLM can be a little complicated. I remember, for my first day I was so confused for how media spots work, and how much writing they need, after I dug deep and wrote my article, I realized that I had no idea how I could claim my work, or how capped and uncapped TPE works. Being a rookie is also scary, you’re coming into an environment where no one knows you, and if you’re on a team that’s inactive, you really have no reason to keep pushing. This, however, is the beauty of the VHLM, there are people of all levels, you have people who’ve been in the league for decades, while there are also people who are in their first year, who don’t realize that this system is older than them (took me by surprise seeing the league is older than me). Overall, day one is both hell and heaven, all depending on how you look at it. For many people, going into an environment like the VHLM can be scary, however, for others it can be a moment of joy. Let’s look back at my first day to understand how it can be. I was watching YouTube and saw a guy on YouTube promoting this league online. I saw that it was free, and I didn’t need anything, so I thought I’d simply join the league, thinking that there’s no harm. So I look at the forum, and decide to make an account. I make my first player, Dabnad Shaw, and he’s big, strong, and I decide he’s young. I make my player, go on the forum, and see I have an offer. This offer is for the Mexico City Kings. Honestly, I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I decided to just join the first team. From here, I join a team with Ronan Lavelle (Arcey @Arce) and Boris Tsezar (Comrade Cat @comrade cat). These were two great people, along with my team manager, encouraged me to keep going, and that has led to me being motivated to continue on, and this helped me bleed into such a great community. While I was a rookie, I learned many things, and I learned to be patient and learned to enjoy a community like this, and while this is an experience for simply me, I believe that many people have experienced the exact same situation as me, and I believe that many people on their day one have the experience of both confusion and excitement as me, and I believe that many of those who come into the leauge today will have a similar experience to me. Being a rookie is hard work, however when you’re a rookie, in the leauge for the first time, it’s important to stay strong because it only gets better from day 1.

I would like to end off by paying my respects to Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau. The news of their passings have been incredibly tough on all hockey fans across the world, and I wish their souls rest in peace. Please remember to never drink and drive, because you don’t just impact yourself, but your family, friends, and even strangers.

This is Narnia Shaw, signing off, until next time.

610 words

Week ending September 15, 2024